Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Did you know you can make a mean bacon substitute out of Eggplant?

Did you know you can make a mean bacon substitute out of Eggplant?

Posted - December 19, 2018

Responses

no but now i do
      December 19, 2018 3:13 PM MST

certain that it would be delicious

but I don't have a dehydrator, nor a juicer, nor the space to keep such machines

unless the dehydrator was solar powered, it seems an expensive process
      December 19, 2018 3:23 PM MST

Order one on Amazon.  They are cheap.  You can get them anywhere.  

I spent under 30 bucks for mine.

I don't have a juicer. I have a food processor and a blender.  The best thing about vegan eating is it is super cheap.  You pay the most for fruits and vegetables, but you don't spend it on meat and fast food garbage.  

And you CAN dry things in the sun.  If you have a good heat from the sun.  Won't work in winter of course.

December 19, 2018 3:30 PM MST

My kitchen has barely enough room to turn around; it's the same as a small yacht's galley.
    No storage space - definitely no room for food processing machinery of any kind.
    I do everything with hand tools.
    In our climate, winter is the warm, dry, sunny time; summer is fiercely hot, cloudy and endlessly raining, often with wild storms and cyclones.
      December 19, 2018 3:35 PM MST

Well there you go, instant dehydrator.

I cannot tell you how absolutely delicious food gets when dried and shrunk.  LOL

I did some organic bananas and apples and they are better than any candy. Nothing like those cardboard things you buy in the store.  
      December 19, 2018 3:37 PM MST

We have friends with a solar mango dehydrator, two stories high and attached to the front of their house on the side of a hill.
    Each year they hand skin, slice and dehydrate the mangoes from 200 trees with the help of WOOFERS.

I would like to try some experiments with dried vegies in our winter sun - gets up to around 25-28ºC for days at a time.
      December 19, 2018 3:45 PM MST

No wonder you thought dehydrators were expensive!!!!
      December 20, 2018 12:36 AM MST

OOH. I need a new one. My 20 year old one burnt out. U made some awesome jerky with it.
      December 19, 2018 3:38 PM MST

https://www.veganbandit.net/6-delicious-vegan-jerky-recipes/
      December 20, 2018 12:38 AM MST

• Step away from MY BACON!!
      December 19, 2018 3:58 PM MST

It's all YOURS.  I wont go in the same room with that smell.  

It smells like dead animal.  
      December 20, 2018 12:38 AM MST

• I bet tofu is fine dinin' to you. xD
      December 19, 2018 4:06 PM MST

I never touch tofu.  

I only eat living foods.  
      December 20, 2018 12:39 AM MST

There is no substitute for bacon.  Next thing you'll be telling us is that lab grown meat tastes just like filet minion - NOT.
      December 19, 2018 8:41 PM MST

What has a LABORATORY to do with health?  If you knew anything about vegan eating, we do not touch anything that is manufactured.  It has to be living.  It has to be raw.  It has to be alive.  No processed foods, no chemicals, no dead animals for sure.  If you are ready to accept all kinds of side effects you think you must endure, then that is your choice.  Rancid and cooked fat, especially animal fat is the surest way to heart attacks and cancer and just ill health.  

Eat your bacon.  That is the exact opposite of natural food that has not been compromised by hormones, fat, grease, burned oil and carcinogens.  Not to mention killing an innocent animal and digesting the pain it was in when it was put to death in the most horrid of fashions.  

Have at it. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 20, 2018 12:42 AM MST
      December 20, 2018 12:35 AM MST