Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » May I share a favorite 'take' on my very favorite painting? Happy Holidays, all

May I share a favorite 'take' on my very favorite painting? Happy Holidays, all

'Santa Cafe'  Hudson Talbott --  after Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks"

Image result for santa cafe hudson talbott

Posted - December 21, 2018

Responses

Why is everything your very favorite?   WHY?  It is adorable to be sure.  BUT?  I doubt if it is your very favorite.  You have more very favorite movies and musical choices than anyone I have ever read.  LOL 

Andy Warhol has some great prints I love.  Nothing is my favorite.  I love all art practically.  

It is my life in a way.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 21, 2018 9:47 PM MST
      December 21, 2018 7:05 AM MST

You're very right, SHARONNA/Master of War. I simply probably overuse the word "favorite."
    :)
    I admire your approach more -- you explained it in another of my questions, about liking one music artist in a music genre one doesn't usually like. You said you look at things in a way that there are artists that transcend any specific genre and you can most of the time find one or more whom you like.

But I admit I'm drawn to those "Best of . . ." lists in various categories, so maybe I'm drawn to asking myself, and then choosing, "What's my top list?"
    And somehow, when I'm talking about music/movies/whatever, sometimes just saying "This is really good" or "I like this a lot" doesn't convey enough of my love.
    I'm probably not explaining myself well.

I do know however that Hopper's "Nighthawks" is my favorite painting. And he's my favorite painter. I lvoe the moods he creates -- often of desolation and loneliness to me.

"Night of the Living Dead" is definitely my favorite movie. Yeah, and we've talked before about my declaring "Dancer in the Dark" as the best movie I've seen. Why choose "Best", you had asked me.

Simple Minds are definitely my favorite group/band.

Patsy Cline has the best singing voice I've heard, if I had to choose.

Those come to my mind first.

But, again -- I agree with you. Why do I make such declarations? Just enjoy, Welby.
      December 21, 2018 11:12 AM MST

I tried to explain in my other reply and sucked at making any sense.

You are right -- I have too many "favorites".

Love you!
    Be Well,
    WelbyQ
      December 22, 2018 8:45 PM MST

•   December 21, 2018 7:15 AM MST

Cool.
    Thanks, ALF.
      December 21, 2018 11:12 AM MST

Why do those caribou have such long faces?
      December 21, 2018 10:32 AM MST

To me, to match what I see as the lonely and despairing mood of Hopper's characters.

Unless you meant literally "long" as in the length and width.

When I was little, we had a board game called "Masterpiece." And "Nighthawks" was in it. I would sit and sit and sit, just gazing at the painting.

Image result for nighthawks painting
    Image result for masterpiece board game
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 21, 2018 10:30 PM MST
      December 21, 2018 11:16 AM MST

My statement comes from and old Joke. Horse walks into a bar. Bartender asks..."Why the long face?"

December 21, 2018 12:17 PM MST

thats a good painting
      December 21, 2018 2:27 PM MST