Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Are there any actual good movies that take place on new year's eve?

Are there any actual good movies that take place on new year's eve?

Specifically I'm talking about the holiday aspect being a focal point, not just a brief mention or incidental detail.

I should note here that if you suggest "200 Cigarettes" or "New Year's Eve", I will not agree with you.

And while we're on the subject of holiday themed movies, anyone know of any moves that take place on a holiday besides Halloween, Christmas, or Thanksgiving? Or Groundhog Day.

Posted - January 1, 2019

Responses

When Harry met Sally....Ghostbusters ll....Trading Places....Briget Jones's Dairy....Assault on Precinct 13....Operation Petticoat.....Skeep less in Seattle ...While you were Sleeping....:) 

hope that helps. :)
      January 1, 2019 10:33 PM MST

Oh yeah, Ghostbusters II. I always associate Trading Places more with Christmas, but it it still works. And I didn't even remember them saying Assault on Precinct 13 took place on new year's eve, but I bet it opens with that info haha.

I haven't seen Operation Petticoat or While you were sleeping, but I actually do enjoy pretty much every movie on that list. Even Ghostbusters II.
      January 2, 2019 2:14 PM MST

Most films gave their moments....it all depends on your tastes in films though...I hate the use of violence just for effects though....:( 
      January 2, 2019 2:57 PM MST

I don't know.  I guess Out of Africa had a New Year's Eve scene in it, but I certainly did not go see it for that reason.

I could care less about holiday-themed movies.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 9, 2019 7:50 PM MDT
      January 2, 2019 3:06 PM MST

I've always wanted to see this
      January 2, 2019 7:57 PM MST

I've not seen that one yet...so can't say if I liked it or not....
      January 3, 2019 2:40 AM MST

Holiday-themed - -

the excellent-to-me horror anthology film "Creepshow" - -

one of the five episodes takes place on Father's Day -- the episode is aptly called "Father's Day"
    :)

"It's Fathers Day and I want my cake!"

Image result for father's day creepshow gif
      June 9, 2019 7:49 PM MDT