Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Have you ever wondered why internet sites ALWAYS make you click "more" or "next page" to continue reading

Have you ever wondered why internet sites ALWAYS make you click "more" or "next page" to continue reading

Why can't they assume you're at the site to read and once you've read enough, you could simply X out. Do you find that annoying.

Posted - August 25, 2016

Responses

Yep. Drives me crazy, but whatcha gonna do?  The objective, of course, is to get you to see more ads.  You can block them with extensions like Adblock, but you still have to thumb through the pages.

August 25, 2016 3:05 AM MDT

There are some reasons including displaying advertising on every page, and limiting the amount of data loaded for one visitor.  If typical user clicks back rather than next (and this is very common) then you have only wasted a small amount of bandwidth and possibly database load on them.  If there are 9 next buttons, for example, then this means you are reducing the load on the server for the typical user to 10% of what it would otherwise be.

August 25, 2016 6:39 AM MDT

No, never. I always assumed it was because they are ad supported, and splitting an article into N parts increases ad exposure by N times. The wacko sites are not ad supported and that's why they put everything they have on one page.

August 25, 2016 1:09 PM MDT

• You really are a pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 25, 2016 1:39 PM MDT

ITpro,

August 25, 2016 7:44 PM MDT

Jewels, what makes a site wacko if they aren't supported by ads

August 25, 2016 7:46 PM MDT

Nimitz, I hear ya, because it drives me nuts too.  But like I mentioned in another of my answers, what would prevent ads from running on one long continuous page

August 25, 2016 7:49 PM MDT

Annoying as hell!!  Even worse click on a link to read an article and it give you a freaking video.  This drives me crazy.

August 25, 2016 10:01 PM MDT