Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Any of you have jobs where the powers that be keep changing your shift hours? If so how does that affect you and are you OK with it?

Any of you have jobs where the powers that be keep changing your shift hours? If so how does that affect you and are you OK with it?

Posted - January 17, 2019

Responses

That's called working in retail.  Set schedules are unheard of.  You work when the boss says you work or you find another job.  I always worked in/for a union shop, so there was some shift schedule protection.  But shift hours were never the same from week to week (even when I wrote the schedule!).  It was virtually impossible.

For 30 years I had to be available 24/7 for work.  No sleep.  No family time.  No "rest" time.  No plans.  No nothing! Just work ... whenever "they" wanted.  7 am-4 pm one day and 2 am - 11 am the next  (who needs sleep?).  I can't count how many times I head "you need to stay a full shift" (not can you but you will).

How did it affect me?  I missed out on 30 years of life (family get-togethers, birthdays, holidays, etc.), I was stressed and irritable, and I had no social life.  all because I had to work "flexible" shift hours (flexible for management only - not me). 
      January 17, 2019 2:25 PM MST

Wow Shuhak! What a lousy way to run a company! I notice it bigly at the grocery stores where I shop. Now you see them..now you don't. Then you see them again then you don't  again. I always had a job with set hours. Of course sometimes I'd go in early or stay due to deadlines or whatever but IT WAS ALWAYS BY CHOICE. You survived 30 years of that? Having the rug constantly pulled out from under you? Condolences for the stress it caused and congrats for SURVIVING IT! Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Friday!  :)
      January 18, 2019 1:49 AM MST

Most shift work involves set rosters, drawn up weeks in advance. Emergency services employees are almost always subject to it - police, paramedics, firefighters, nurses etc. You plan your family life around it.
      January 17, 2019 6:46 PM MST

I could not hack it  R. I just don't have the "right stuff" to roll with those punches. Now  if you KNOW weeks in advance I guess it isn't intolerable but  if you only get a couple day's notice it can wreak he** with your life. What happens with doctor appointments? Make 'em and break 'em and make 'em again and break 'em again? Sheesh. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      January 18, 2019 1:53 AM MST

• as a member of management my schedule stays pretty much the same

in the event at that it does change i dont really mind since i dont do anything else 

and usually if my manager wants me to switch my shift i will just offer to work a double shift instead This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 18, 2019 1:53 AM MST
      January 17, 2019 8:21 PM MST

As part of your management duties do you ever make the work schedules out for the folks who work for you? If so how do you decide who gets the more "regular" hours and who doesn't? Does it go by seniority elon? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      January 18, 2019 1:54 AM MST