Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Each leg of a 3-legged stool is EQUAL TO the others. If one leg is shorter the stool wobbles and is useless isn't it?.

Each leg of a 3-legged stool is EQUAL TO the others. If one leg is shorter the stool wobbles and is useless isn't it?.

The 3-legged stool was CREATED by the Founders. You know those guys who wrote The Constitution? They weren't fooling or joking or teasing. They were SERIOUS.

Three branches of government that are ABSOLUTELY EQUAL to one another. Why? Check-and-balance system only works if the powers are equal. Just because  one clueless uppity leg keeps trying to lengthen itself thus destabilizing the stool doesn't matter. What is legal is what is legal and what is legal is THREE EQUAL BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT. Those who don't like it need to get over it. The Executive Branch is no more powerful or important than the LEGISLATIVE or JUDICIAL. Why is that FACT so hard to grasp/comprehend/understand for so many people?

Posted - January 19, 2019

Responses

True but gradually over time the Congress has been giving more and more power to the executive branch. 

That may actually be something good to come out of the hatred by the left of President Trump, Congress may get a little bit more of that stool leg back they have been shortening for so long.

No President (Dem or Rep) should be able to rule with a phone and a pen.
      January 19, 2019 5:24 AM MST

Actually your analogy is not quite that bad: the stool would be stable (it has 3 legs, to stand rigidly on an uneven floor), but its seat would tilt down towards the shortened leg. So perhaps the lot won't topple, it certainly won't wobble, but it won't be very comfortable and would constantly remind its user that one leg is faulty.

In governmental terms, you'd have one branch of government being very ineffective, with the other two doing more than their fair share of supporting a country that won't fall, but cannot be comfortable or secure.
      January 19, 2019 3:57 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Durdle and Happy Sunday! I have sat on a three legged chair (a very old one) and one leg was shorter. It was not stable. It did wobble every time I change my position. It was not comfortable I simply applied that experience to a stool and imagine assumed it would do likewise. :)
      January 20, 2019 2:07 AM MST

Things with three legs can never wobble as you put it Rosie.....no matter how uneven the ground a three legged stool stands with all three legs firmly on the ground and remains stable if not completly upright...
    Its the reason they are used for milking stools.....where every they are placed they are always firm to sit on.. :)
      January 19, 2019 4:24 PM MST

As I explained to Durdle I sat on a three-legged CHAIR once upon a time and it did wobble. Every time I adjusted my position is wobbled. I assumed a stool would do likewise. Never sat on one. Thank you for your reply. Now if you are sitting at 4-legged table and one of the legs is shorter the only way to stablize so it doesn't wobble is to put a shim underneath the shorter leg. Ever experience that D? Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      January 20, 2019 2:08 AM MST

Lol...yes many times Rosie....I use to help lay hard wood floors with my dad ,on to existing timber floor joist ,or stuck down on top of concerts screeds and even floating timber floor......
    Very rarely were any floor ever 100% level or completly flat.... a table ,chair or dresser was quite small ,it hardly ever noticed when things were placed back into the room...
    Larger things were differnt though and would often wobble as you say and stoped if placed in other parts of the roo....
    Happy Fun Sunday Rosie...lol
      January 20, 2019 2:46 AM MST

Thank you for the added explanation, Rosie.

As others have said, a tripod will stand without wobbling on any surface within reason provided the legs are held rigidly with respect to each other, a rule of geometry known since ancient times. Instead I suspect the stool you found had a loose leg, and it was that fault causing the wobbles!

Politically then, the relative sizes of the three "legs" of government are not important. What does matter, and potentially seriously, is one of the legs being its right length but faulty, in itself or in its links to the other two. If that leg is cracked, or those links are weak, perhaps likely to break, then that would undermine the government's stability.

I don't know enough about your country's systems, let alone the bizarre power-games they have become, to see which leg or link has been so badly weakened it is now unable to take the weight so is bending or breaking, but it looks to me as that's what's happened. No doubt they were all of different sizes physically in personnel and finances, but of equivalent administrative abilities and strengths (analogous to the furniture legs' lengths and strengths), but have become so undermined they can't properly support each other and the country sitting on them.

We Britons think our own "Brexit" is a mess, and it is. But we also see what the rest of the world is doing to itself and unto others.  Looked at from outside, the USA shows the rest of the world as run by hapless ministerial-level politicians and senior civil-servants most of whom are good at their work, but are now struggling to do their best, having been thrown into chaos by a wilfully incompetent, deceitful and petulant President with very little if any political or diplomatic experience. Or was Mr. Trump a Representative or Senator for some years before standing for the Presidency?

I don't know how the US selects its presidential candidates. There is nothing wrong with an actor or a golf-course speculator becoming President, but in most democracies the top posts go to people who may have been actors or property-developers (or indeed the scenery-painters and brick-layers), but have then entered politics and gained that experience necessary over quite a number of years. They may or may not all prove in the end to be very competent as prime-ministers or presidents, but at least they have learnt governance by rising through their countries' equivalents to the UK's constituency and ministerial levels.

In fact, in Britain, all the Ministers including the Prime Minister, are still Members of Parliament elected by their local constituents as MPS, not as ministers: the selection for the senior posts is by the MPs themselves. I don't know the US President is similarly still also the local Representative.

As for putting shims under table legs... Oh yes, I have done that on many occasions!
      January 21, 2019 5:07 AM MST