Active Now

Thebigd
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An Answermugger states 'the universe does not have a size". Do you agree with he?

An Answermugger states 'the universe does not have a size". Do you agree with he?

Posted - January 21, 2019

Responses

I do not agree. Cheers!
      January 21, 2019 8:59 AM MST

The observable universe is said to be 93 BILLION LIGHT YEARS in diameter. The unobservable universe is said to be about 23 TRILLION light years in diameter. How does the human brain comprehend a size like that? How do they KNOW what size it is if it is unobservable? Mind-boggling! Thank you for your reply Nanoose and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      January 22, 2019 2:55 AM MST

How can it possibly have any size Rosie if it keeps on expanding ....Where does it expand into and what is on the other side in every direction...
    How on earth can anyone say anything about it and be 100 % sure of what they are saying...

We seem to be so sure about it all ,yet we've only been able to study it with a modicum of accuracy for the past 100 years or so....
    We state there are only a 100 or so different things on the periodic scale ,yet how can we be 100 % sure that that is true...

How can anyone state such vast distances when such vast distances are involved....
    At present we know of only the speed of light to travel at  ....The Milky Way would take 200 million light year travling at the speed of light to cross it...
    Have you ever typed in to discover how large the largest discovered planet it....it's so large ,it's almost beyond comprehension.... 
    It dwarfs our sun a million times maybe....

Yes....how can our tiny minds relate to such vast distances......
    When I look up at the stars ,I just scratch my head in wonderment.... Fact is.......not for many many Eons to come...no one will ever know for sure      
      January 22, 2019 3:44 AM MST

At this point the observable universe is listed at being 93 BILLION LIGHT YEARS IN DIAMETER and the unobservable universe is listed at being around 23 TRILLION LIGHT YEARS IN DIAMETER. How they guesstimate is shown on the internet in charts and graphs and mathematical formulas far beyond my ability to follow. I take their word for it. The universe has many mysterious components not the least of which is quantum entanglement. That has scientifically been proven to exist. That is a very MYSTERIOUS phenomenon to be sure but it is what it is. So until the minds greater than mine come up with other information I am very happy to take their word for it knowing full well that what they say today may change with another discovery tomorrow. It's all we got D and I happily will go with that. You aren't happy with it and so you don't buy it. No worries. I don't know how much you are into quantum physics quantum mechanics or how much you've read on the subject. I've purchased and read dozens of books on the subjects all of which are endlessly fascinating to me. I don't understand everything I read because I don't have any background whatsoever in physics. It matters not. I enjoy it. Thank you for your reply D. How many dimensions doth thou believe there art? More than 3? See how much fun it is to speculate? This post was edited by RosieG at January 22, 2019 12:39 PM MST
      January 22, 2019 5:47 AM MST

All things are mere theories until proven Rosie....how can they just presume these things hen the distances are so great..
    Yes I'm fasinated by it all and don't read enough about it,,..I think you need time to sit and think about what you've studied and read....I have my moments when someone says something interesting and that Spurs me up to read up about it...

I do like to read about it all..but take a lot of the theories they come up with  with a pinch of salt...with out proof everything they presume could change in an instant ..  It's still amazing and well worth reading and thinking about...
      January 22, 2019 1:01 PM MST