Active Now

Malizz
Maurice214
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Climate Change DENIERS believe climate and weather are the same thing. They aren't. Are you one of them ?

Climate Change DENIERS believe climate and weather are the same thing. They aren't. Are you one of them ?

Posted - January 30, 2019

Responses

The kind of are the same thing. Climate is weather over a long period of time.

Weather is what we experience every day (rain, snow, warm, cold, etc.).   The Weather changes daily.
    Climate is weather patterns over a long period of time.   It (generally) rains more in NorCal than in SoCal.  This Is due to weather patterns.    Therefore the climate there is sunny and dry (although it can rain and snow there - and has on numerous occasions.
    As weather patterns change, the climate will follow (but not "instantly").  

There's a lot more to weather and climate than I'm telling here (geography, oceans, air currents, etc.).  Simply having a few extreme hot/cold spells doesn't (necessarily) mean the climate is changing. However, numerous hot/cold spells can affect the overall climate.  For example, I have taken weather observations at this location since the late 70's.  My data indicates that (from this location) the overall average temperature has steadily increased, especially since the early 90's.  This rise in temperatures has decreased the yearly snowfall totals (higher snow levels).  At the same time rainfall has plummeted from an yearly average of nearly 70-inches in the early 70's, to just over 47-inches now.  This 20+ year swath of observations indicates a distinct change in climate.
      January 30, 2019 5:53 PM MST

Once again m'dear I thank you for a very thoughtful and INFORMATIVE reply to my question. You always invest a lot of yourself and your time to reply completely to all my questions which I appreciate greatly! Very good of you to be so consistent! :)
      January 31, 2019 4:45 AM MST

• I think that your question just made the case for those of us who think that climate change/global warming is a political debate concerning more control and regulation over people, than it is a real concern over weather patterns. 
      January 30, 2019 6:03 PM MST

Tbe warming oceans are changing the shape of the Jet Stream. Extremes at both ends are becoming more frequent - Adelaide sweltered at a preposterous one hundred seventeen degrees last Thursday, a new record.
      January 31, 2019 4:58 AM MST