Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The ELECTRIC GRID is taken down everywhere. What happens to all the planes in the air? Can they make safe landings blind? How?

The ELECTRIC GRID is taken down everywhere. What happens to all the planes in the air? Can they make safe landings blind? How?

Posted - February 1, 2019

Responses

I would guess - or at least hope - that airfields have emergency generators to guard against the normal public supply failing.

Also the aircraft all have radios and radar so in extremis the pilots have some chance of organising themselves into landing and moving clear of the runway, safely. 

I would not be surprised if such a problem has already been considered and planned for, although the risk of many airports all losing power at once must be extremely small - except perhaps in a war.
      February 1, 2019 2:44 PM MST

Among the things the Intelligence Agency Department heads told us (after having contradicted EVERYTHING the gaslighter-in-chief said) was that RIGHT NOW China is inside our gas grid and Russia is inside our electric grid and they can pull them down at any time. Apparently there is nothing we can do to stop it. If there is mebbe it is TOP SECRET and they can't tell us. I have worried about this for years. Grids go down accidentally when something fails. It is organic and not an attack. It bounces back. WHAT IF it goes down with purpose and premeditation and can't bounce back? How many levels of our lives would be crippled?. How impotent would we be to even communicate with one another? Short-wave radio? Telepathy? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your thoughtful (and a bit hopeful) reply Durdle! :( This post was edited by RosieG at February 4, 2019 2:15 AM MST
      February 2, 2019 6:51 AM MST

I'd not known what had made you ask in the first place, but that threat of internet attack from countries like China and Russia (and N. Korea perhaps?) had occurred to me.

How well a sabotaged network can be reinstated depends a lot on how easy it would be to take over manual control from heavily-automatic control based on the Internet. the damage and repair could also be affected by how much the utility control networks are isolated from the Internet as a whole. I would want it to not use Microsoft software as far as possible, too,  as that's too well-known at programme level, so easy to attack.

When I meant  aircraft pilots could still talk to each, I was assuming the electricity to the ground-based radar and air traffic control radios being off. The aeroplanes have their own, internal electrical generators, totally isolated from the grid supplies. I would think that the airfields would very soon be running on emergency generators to get planes down safely, with the real disruption caused by further services being suspended until the mains electricity is back running.

I would think you'd be right that the power companies and Government departments concerned, do have contingency plans, but logically won't tell us they do, let alone reveal what they are!  
      February 3, 2019 4:03 PM MST

I did not know that pilots can communicate by means other than depending on the electric grid. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Durdle and Happy Monday!   :)
      February 4, 2019 2:17 AM MST

I don't know how easy it would be, but all aircraft carry radios powered entirely from the planes' own electrical system. The greater difficulty would be power to radio and radar systems on the ground.
      February 4, 2019 10:38 AM MST