Active Now

Shuhak
DannyPetti
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » What is your opinion on people that have done or said stupid things in the distant past? Are they redeemable?

What is your opinion on people that have done or said stupid things in the distant past? Are they redeemable?

Posted - February 6, 2019

Responses

Yes.  If they own up to it and CHANGE.
      February 6, 2019 12:47 PM MST

We all know that once it's known. Say a racist act or statement, the person is done for. It's happening right now with Liam Neeson.
      February 6, 2019 12:52 PM MST

He is very NOT WELL-SPOKEN.   He doesn't get that his speech is not really communicating what he wants. 

I think he is backwards in his desire to be honest.    There is a way to approach this argument without being a moron and taking a podium and just start yakking.

What a jerk.   I'm sorry.  I get that he did somethings in the past that were out of ignorance and he is no longer that person.  But he is a star.  He is in the media.  This is inflammatory.  The press will get pieces of it and run with it and he will be in front of the camera?  Is this what he wants?  

This has nothing to do with redemption and everything to do with being stupid and arrogant and thinking he is making sense.
      February 6, 2019 12:59 PM MST

• Of course...I think people's actions and words going forward in many ways can help them find forgiveness for most anything.  But at the same time I don't find forgiveness to be a total acquittal.  Sometimes the past is just going to haunt a person forever. 
      February 6, 2019 1:13 PM MST

I have done and said stupid things in my distant past. Everyone got over it.
      February 6, 2019 2:12 PM MST

• Who hasn't done or said stupid things in their life?  We're all human.  Unless someone doesn't learn from their mistakes ... then that's kind of dumb.  
      February 6, 2019 2:46 PM MST

Best answer
      February 6, 2019 3:15 PM MST

• Thanks!
      February 6, 2019 3:53 PM MST

The problem is the people who won't forgive. No matter how many years have past.
      February 6, 2019 6:53 PM MST

• That's true Zack.  But that's really more their problem .. their inability to remember that people do change.  Their loss IMO.
      February 7, 2019 5:01 AM MST

We've all said and done stupid things in the past. What matters is if the person realizes their stupidity and tries to improve themself.
      February 6, 2019 9:21 PM MST

If you're talking about crap that middle-aged folks did in high school....................I don't give a hoot about it.  There's a reason we seal juvenile records:  the legal system does not want stupid stuff kids get into to follow them for the rest of their lives.  It's time the rest of society get a clue and stop being offended because the media tell you to. 
      February 6, 2019 11:39 PM MST

All of us have said or done something stupid at some time - and more often so when we were young.
    Most of us seem to learn from our mistakes eventually, so yes, most of us are redeemable.
      February 6, 2019 11:58 PM MST

Well who hasn't done or said stupid things in the "distant past" or the present?  Let God judge them.  I will not -I have my own life, stupid or not, to be concerned with. 
      February 7, 2019 6:05 AM MST