Active Now

Malizz
Thebigd
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You don't have all the stipulated ingredients but you want to make it anyway. SO YOU SUBSTITUTE. Success or failure?

You don't have all the stipulated ingredients but you want to make it anyway. SO YOU SUBSTITUTE. Success or failure?

Ingredients are there for a reason. Especially in baking. You can toss anything you want in the pot if you are making soup. There is nothing critical about it. In baking it is critically important to respect the recipe. Things there are there for specific reasons. Sometimes they act as catalysts. Do you have great success when you substitute? If you do?

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

I substitute chocolate chips for raisins. Haven't failed with that one yet ...
      February 11, 2019 3:30 AM MST

I do that too R. That's an "additive" that doesn't really affect a cookie or cake adversely. You can add coconut or nuts or chocolate chips or craisins (I preferred dried cranberries to raisins) without affect the nature of the cookie. Well it might be too sweet if you add too many depending upon what other sweeteners you have. But substituting oil for butter or artificial sweetners for sugar or cake flour for stone ground whole wheat flour or baking powder for baking soda or regular milk for buttermilk might. I toss in  little wheat germ or wheat bran (tablespoon here and there) but not a significant amount or it will be unbalanced and make the cookies too dry. I like cookies with crunch. What about you? Thank you for your reply R. Do you bake often? Any specialties?
      February 11, 2019 3:50 AM MST

Maureen and I are good plain cooks, our daughter is a good fancy cook. Cookies and cakes are her domain. She s9metimes asks me to buy ingredients or fetch them from the pantry - I refuse to bring her raisins!
      February 11, 2019 5:37 AM MST

I have cooked all my life so I have made every mistake imaginable growing up and learning how to bake.

Boy do I know how to screw up a loaf of bread.  But I learned.   And you are right.  Soup is very forgiving and baking is not as a rule, forgiving at all.  

I think it takes a person of imagination, courage and intelligence to know how to substitute and when to do it.

It is thinking out of the box so to speak, and oftentimes consists of thinking on your feet.

Without the ability to substitute, life would be a lot more difficult, that's for certain and how would anything new be invented either?

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 11, 2019 4:00 AM MST
      February 11, 2019 3:57 AM MST

No if I am making one of my standards I see to it I have everything I need beforehand.  Even if it means running out at the last minute to get a package of basil or a tin of anchovies.  Otherwise I will make something simpler. 
      February 11, 2019 6:00 AM MST