Active Now

DannyPetti
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Have you ever seen a movie that was worse than the book it derived from?

Have you ever seen a movie that was worse than the book it derived from?

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

• Carrie.  Most of King's books did very well in the movie form except for this one and It.
      February 11, 2019 3:55 PM MST

WOW.  I think the exact opposite and Carrie was really the rage in Chicago when it came out.   

I think all his books, especially the old ones were amazing and the movies?  Well, some were pretty good, but none were better than the books.   Do you think?

Did you ever read Graveyard Shift?  Chilling.   Short stories from a very twisted mind.  LOL 
      February 11, 2019 4:04 PM MST

• I did read Graveyard Shift.  I think I have read almost all of his books.  My favorite is The Long Walk. I wish they would make that one into a movie.
      February 11, 2019 4:06 PM MST

Didn't that star Arnold Schwarznegger?   I think they made that one.  I may have it mixed up with another story.  
      February 11, 2019 7:15 PM MST

It confirmed King's perversion. The movie didn't bother me (freaked my wife and daughter out - my wife is aracnophobic, my daughter is scared of clowns) but the book turned my stomach. What the kids did to vanquish Pennywise the first time - they COULDN'T film that bit.
    Stephen King has a diseased mind - he probably keeps it in a jar on his desk next to "the heart of a small boy".
      February 11, 2019 7:14 PM MST

We agree on men but disagree on "Carrie" the movie.
    :)
    I think the original "Carrie" movie is very good. I think I saw it all /read it at a time when the stars were all aligned for me to like everything about Carrie. (And Piper Laurie.)

February 11, 2019 7:31 PM MST

It is normal for it to suck.  The book is always better and when the movie is just as good or BETTER?   That is rare indeed.   So whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis.   

February 11, 2019 4:01 PM MST

You're right - - rare for me, too.
    Though, "Coma,"  the original movie version, I thought was better than Robin Cook's book (a book which got bogged down in excessive medical jargon to me).

February 11, 2019 7:29 PM MST

All of them. LOTR was particularly disappointing, I hated Fellowship so much that I vowed never to force myself to endure another Peter Jackson abortion disguised as a movie. 
      February 11, 2019 7:09 PM MST

The only movie I can think of that was as good as the book is Tom Clancy's Search for Red October.

LOTR?

I felt the same way until I saw the entire movie in its entirety.  Then I loved it and watched it dozens of times.

It was too good to judge.
      February 11, 2019 7:16 PM MST

Tolkien never wanted it filmed. In his essay On Faerie Stories he stated that the whole point of fantasy is to stimulate the imagination. Portraying it on stage or screen takes imagination out of tge equation and renders the entire genre pointless.
    Jackson also didn't tell the story. Where was Bombadil? Why was Arwen given a major part, given that she gets only three paragraphs in three paving slab sized books?
      February 11, 2019 7:24 PM MST

Yeah, well we don't know what Tolkien would have wanted since he would never have imagined the art and science that went into film making.

So, we cannot go there.  You think Treebeard would not have blown his mind or the depiction of Gandalf and Frodo and Bilbo?  That was beyond art. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 11, 2019 7:58 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 7:57 PM MST

"The Grapes of Wrath"

I heard my entire life about how great this movie was.
    But after reading the book - - that ending!!! -- sorry, but if you're not going to use the book's ending, don't make the movie.

And, if I remember correctly, the movie only addresses about one third of the book's plot.

I was terribly disappointed in the movie, compared to the book. If I hadn't read the book, I probably would have liked the movie.

OH!!! And Stanley Kubrick's movie version of "The Shining" -- horrible to me, in comparison to the book. (Did Kubrick just allow Nicholson to ruin any redeeming quality that Jack Torrance had? Or did Jack N just go ahead and ruin the character on purpose? I almost left the theater when Nicholson uttered his infamous "Here's Johnny" line, the line everyone loves except me. I do know I audibly groaned when he said that. Grr.)
    The made-for-TV mini-series of "The Shining" (that no one seems to have seen but me) captures the spirit of the novel to me. 

Though, like "The Grapes of Wrath," if I had not read King's novel, I may have liked Kubrick's movie.

Hey, sorry -- I'm still in a months-long poor mood/frame of mind
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 11, 2019 7:42 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 7:41 PM MST