Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Did you knew there is a wasp that hunt spiders ?

Did you knew there is a wasp that hunt spiders ?

for those of you that spiders creeps you up....

theres a special family of wasps that hunt spiders.... they are able to fight a spider, and sting it, and paralyzes it... 

its a very special insect !

Posted - February 12, 2019

Responses

I could have used a couple of wasp killing spiders last year.
      February 12, 2019 2:00 PM MST

Do you have poisonous spiders in the states.....?
    We have the Nobel false widow ....it's imported and poisonous and spreading all over southen England not....they say you could lose a limb if it bites you    :( 
      February 12, 2019 4:35 PM MST

Hey.  Tarantulas are not even spiders.
      February 12, 2019 4:41 PM MST

Yes...we have them here in England....I've often watched quite large spiders make nests in our bushes and hide under leafs whe a wasp flies around their web....
    Once they find the spider ....they sting and kill it and then dicect it and fly the bits back to their nest...they then return to take the other parts untill the whole spiders body has gone.... 
      February 12, 2019 4:18 PM MST

First of all a tarantula is not a spider.  

Secondly, I am way more afraid of wasps than I am of any arachnid.
      February 12, 2019 4:40 PM MST

What is the difference between a spider and an arachnid .....Don't they both gave Nice Teeth ...:)D 
      February 12, 2019 4:56 PM MST

I have no idea.  I just know there is a difference.  

Insects vs Arachnids

Arthropods are composed of few classes, but insects and arachnids are two of the most important classes in the phylum. All the arthropods have distinguishing characteristics from other animals, but the members of these two classes have exhibited very distinctive physiognomies and those are good enough to identify insects from arachnids. They are different in their taxonomic diversity, morphological features, and in many other aspects.

Insects

Insects are the largest group of animals with an expected number of species between six to ten million. So far, there are about 1,000,000 described species of insects. Insects can sustain in almost all the ecosystems due to their extreme adaptability. This extremely higher number of insect species in the world lifts their importance. Some of the very common insects are butterflies, ants, bees, weevils, paddy bugs, crickets, grasshoppers, leaf insects, mosquitoes etc.

Insects have three specialized segments in the body known as tagma, consisting of the head, thorax, and abdomen. Basically, the head is designed for feeding and sensory functions, thorax mainly for locomotion, and the abdomen functions mainly for reproduction. There are three pairs of legs originating from the thorax. The head has two compound eyes and two antennae for sensory functions. In the abdomen, anus opens the oviduct and rectum to the exterior (i.e. they have only one opening for defecation and reproduction). Somehow, this thriving group of animals are considered the most successful in the Kingdom: Animalia.

Arachnids

Arachnids are a group of arthropods including spiders, mites, ticks, harvestmen, scorpions etc. There are more than 10,000 described species of arachnids, and almost all of them are terrestrial. The most prevailing and standing out feature of the arachnids is the presence of four pairs of legs (eight legs). However, some of those legs have become sensory appendages in some arachnid species. In addition to their legs, arachnids have two very distinctive appendages that act like arms with cutting and feeding abilities. In fact, these enlarged appendages are the chelicerae, which are additionally used in feeding and defense. The presence of pedipalps is another important feature of arachnids, which is useful in locomotion and reproduction.

The body organization of the arachnids is composed of cephalothorax and abdomen, aka prosoma and opisthosoma. Arachnids are wingless creatures, unlike most of the arthropods. The absence of antennae could be used as another distinguishing feature of them. One of the most important physiological characteristics of arachnids is the lack of extensor muscles; instead, they have a hydraulic pressure system to extend their legs with elastic thickenings at joins, as in spiders and scorpions. They have a special gas exchanging system that has been evolved from the book lungs. Their feeding is carnivorous mainly. Their sensory hairs and trichobothria are sensory structures additional to the compound eyes and ocelli. With the presence of internal fertilization for reproduction, arachnids could be regarded as a well-developed group of animals.

What is the difference between Insects and Arachnids?

• Insects are more diversified with over million species than the arachnids who have only 10,000 species.

• Insects have six pairs of legs, but there are eight pairs of legs in arachnids.

• Insects have wings at least in a stage of their lifecycle, but arachnids are always wingless creatures.

• Insects are found in almost all the habitats, whereas arachnids predominantly prefer the terrestrial habitat.

• Chelicerae are enlarged in arachnids more than in insects.

• Gas exchange system is evolved from book lungs in arachnids but not in insects.

• Arachnids show internal fertilization but rarely or not in insects.

• Insects have extensor muscles but not in arachnids.

• Insects have antennae but not in arachnids.

• Arachnids are predominantly carnivorous, but insects could be carnivorous, omnivorous, or herbivorous.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 12, 2019 5:15 PM MST
      February 12, 2019 5:02 PM MST

All very interesting ...thanks..:) 
      February 12, 2019 5:15 PM MST

• That is not correct. A tarantula is a spider. They are part of the order Araneae, the "spiders", which is a sub-family of Arachnida. 
      February 12, 2019 6:27 PM MST

I dunno, I'd rather be trapped in a moving car with a spider than a wasp. At least a spider just kinda sits there and minds its own business.
      February 12, 2019 5:20 PM MST

• If any bug is in my house and I find it, I will kill it.  Unless it's a ladybug. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 12, 2019 5:38 PM MST
      February 12, 2019 5:36 PM MST

• Tarantula hawks and such, yes. The sting from a tarantula hawk is said to be one of the most painful things a human can experience. 
      February 12, 2019 6:27 PM MST