Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We think of TRADITION as beneficial. Something positive and worth preserving. Something to hand down to our kin. Even when it is a SIN?

We think of TRADITION as beneficial. Something positive and worth preserving. Something to hand down to our kin. Even when it is a SIN?

Racism. Bigotry. Misogyny. Homophobia. Tradition. Legacy. Pass down through the subsequent generations as their HERITAGE. BIRTHRIGHT. Is it tradition or perversion? Legacy or lunacy? Heritage or garbage? Birthright or Birthwrong?

What family traditions can you trace back to your ancestors? Are they going to be what you pay forward proudly?

Posted - February 14, 2019

Responses

My ancestors were mostly church going types. Except great-great Uncle Charlie. He was a drunk, but never got into trouble with the law. Then there was my father. He stole a motorcycle out of a Frenchman's barn during WW2. 
      February 14, 2019 7:45 AM MST

So Uncle Charlie was a harmless drunk who ruined his life? Sad. And your dad was a thief? Was he in the military? I wonder how many Americans "took" souvenirs in wars as "mementos"? Thousands, millions, all of them? Wasn't France an ally bh? I guess anything goes in love and war. No disrespect to your dad specifically. What did he do with bike? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 15, 2019 2:42 AM MST
      February 15, 2019 2:39 AM MST

My father helped liberate France. He was an American paratrooper who was injured in battle. I guess the motorcycle owner was dead. Dad left the motorcycle in France, but brought back some Nazi war souvenirs such as pistols and knives, and even a genuine Nazi helmet with fatal bullet hole in it. Dad ended up with a Bronze Star medal for his activities. 
      February 15, 2019 6:43 AM MST

• My family doesn't seem to have any tradition, and I seem to have followed in their footsteps by passing non-tradition down to my daughter.    I will say the one thing that the ancestors on my mom's side have always done and continue to do today, and I too have continued to do is Genealogy.  My mom's family were Mormons who came to the US from England, settled all around the Tetons in parts of Idaho and Wyoming, and started Genealogy.  (Although my mom was baptized Mormon she does not practice that "religion".)   Genealogy is in my blood - I have been actively tracing my ancestry on both sides of my family for over 20 years.  Unfortunately, my daughter has zero interest in it, so I fear once I kick the bucket, that will be it. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 14, 2019 9:42 AM MST
      February 14, 2019 8:27 AM MST

I am in AWE of you lavender and admire you so much words fail me. WHY? Well several decades ago my son and his then-girlfriend were on vacation and stopped in Utah? I guess there is a genealogy treasure there provided by the Mormons which is available to non-Mormons? Anyway he called and asked me questions about our family I could not answer. I have never felt so bad in my entire life about anything. I could not give my son the information he sought because I was too shortsighted or cavalier or uncaring about it. SIGH. So good for you! If I had it to do over again I would have quizzed my parents and grandparents about their experiences. I never did. Talk about stupid dumb! Something I have to live with and cannot fix. Thank you for your nifty reply lavender! :) ((hugs))
      February 14, 2019 9:47 AM MST

• Rosie, I have membership on Ancestry and a few other places. If you ever have any questions about ancestors or anything at all that you would like me to try to research, let me know.  I would be more than happy to do it.     The Mormans have since opened up their database and allow non-Mormons to use their resources.   The only thing in Utah  (or any Mormon church) that non-Mormans cannot do is tour their beautiful church, and it truly is beautiful.  I have only seen it in pictures, but because my mom was baptized Mormon (although no practicing), she was allowed to tour the church. The rest of us had to wait in a lobby for her. It was creepy.  She gave her Maiden name, they looked it up to confirm she is legit, and they let her tour.  They have the surnames on a big database so they know who is legit and who isn't.  Yikes.       So, please shoot me a PM anytime you have anything you would like me to look up for you. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 15, 2019 2:43 AM MST
      February 14, 2019 9:59 AM MST

Thanks honey. I appreciate that. Years ago a new Mormon temple was built near where we lived in Riveriside. It was open to the public for a grand opening tour for a limited time. Then the doors would be closed to outsiders. The tour was only of certain areas. Some were off-limits to outsiders. We had to remove our shoes and put on some slippers because the carpets were spotless and WHITE. Everything we were allowed to see was breathtakingly beautiful. Folks were allowed to ask questions and I guess the one I asked upset the guide. All I wanted to know what what it cost to build! Of course I didn't get an answer. I still don't understand why that was the reaction. I didn't think it was a rude question. Tracing my background might be undoable. I'm first generation American. My mom's side  immigrated from Amasya, Armenia via Paris where they fled the Turks and lived for several years before they came to the US and my dad's folks were from Izmir, Turkey via the island of Crete where they fled at first from the Turks before they came here. Via ELLIS ISLAND of course. I expect the Mormon records are more likely to cover those who  came from England but I could be wrong about that. Anyway I'm so proud of what you are doing and have done. I think that is a wonderful gift to give your family. Continuity. Knowledge. Good job lavender! Thank you for your splendid reply and keep up the good work. Not that you need me to be a cheerleader but I am anyway! Happy Friday! :) ((hugs))

February 15, 2019 2:54 AM MST

Hmm.
    I define a sin as anything that causes harm to life.

Simple traditions like good manners and hospitality can have all sorts of beneficial consequences.

Some traditions are cultural markers that give people a sense of inclusion and belonging.

But I've never thought of any aspect of hate or bigotry as being a tradition.
    In a way, I suppose they are.
    But I would rather see them as attitudes which can be shaken off once the bigot sees how harmful the prejudice is.
    It harms both the one who is hated and the one who hates.
    All forms of hatred are harmful to society as a whole.
    So I regard hate as a sin.
      February 14, 2019 8:47 AM MST

Racist/bigot/homophobes raise racist/bigot/homophobes raise racist/bigot/homophobes and so on and so on and so on. Family tradition. Proud of it they are. Hate is great for those who grow up on it. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful reply NdP. What is the difference between preference and prejudice? I'm gonna ask. Happy Valentine's Day Thursday to thee!  :)
      February 14, 2019 10:47 AM MST

Let's divide the meaning of sin to stay with the definition of sin and tradition to keep the definition of tradition.

There is no reason to confuse the issue.  Most families are interested in passing down recipes and baby clothing, not ideas of who to hate across the river. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 15, 2019 2:57 AM MST
      February 14, 2019 11:53 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Friday. A child born into a racist family is raised a racist. How is that not  tradition? Just wonderin'.
      February 15, 2019 2:57 AM MST