Discussion » Questions » Environment » when are plebs going to stop driving gas vehicles and just all buy tesla's

when are plebs going to stop driving gas vehicles and just all buy tesla's

Posted - February 17, 2019

Responses

Maybe after that red Tesla Roadster re enters earths atmosphere and does donuts and Tokyo drifts around all the gas guzzling cars - everybody will want a Tesla after they see something like that. Cheers!   
      February 17, 2019 10:12 PM MST

Plebs have not discussed their plans with me. Heck, I don't even know what plebs are! 

Electric cars will not become the norm until there is a huge improvement in battery technology. That is difficult because the lead-acid battery is pretty darn good to start with. But there is not enough metal in the world to make battery powered cars for everybody until they develop some batteries that use more readily available elements. Iron chloride looks promising, but it tends to electrolyze the water and that is not nice.
      February 17, 2019 10:13 PM MST

Existing electric cars use lithium ion batteries.
      February 18, 2019 7:48 AM MST

recycled nuclear material would make good, long-lasting batteries.

LOL
      February 18, 2019 9:00 AM MST

I pleb allegiance that  I will never go electric.  

February 17, 2019 10:58 PM MST

As soon as Kittigate sends me those pennies, I'll buy one.
      February 18, 2019 7:50 AM MST

i bet its because electric cars are not under 100k each
      February 18, 2019 1:15 PM MST

I don't know what a "pleb" is (though I think in Ancient Roman, a "plebeian" was simply an ordinary member of the general populace); but to answer the question, whilst battery-only and to a lesser extent, hybrid cars are becoming more popular, they will not be universal until no-one has any choice.

I suspect huge numbers of people will not be able to own battery-only cars, not just for cost reasons but also simple practicality: you will be able to recharge your own car overnight only if your home has its own drive. Certainly in Britain, hundreds of thousands, if not some millions, of people live in flats or in terraced homes built before cars were invented, or even in modern estates built to resemble old-style villages complete with no individual parking places. (For those who know Southern England, e.g. the so-called "Poundbury" extension to Dorchester). 

Also of course, the most "green" of the battery-only enthusiasts, including all those politicians woefully ignorant of simple scientific and engineering principles,  do not bother to consider:

- the vast quantity of electricity needed across any given country;

-  the very heavy cabling and associated equipment needed for extensive transmission of the extra power needed to even, say, a modestly-sized housing-estate; the environmental and financial costs of that provision, and how indeed it will be funded; 

-  the environmental equation of just the batteries and their materials;

- the question of how governments compensate for the loss of the tax revenues on liquid fuels;

- the potential and very far-reaching effects on the country's overall social and cultural life and indeed necessities of life such as delivering foods etc.;

-  The possible congestion from many vehicles stranded by flat batteries up and down the nation's roads, especially in heavy traffic on dark, wet, cold Winter nights, when the combined lights, wipers and heater loads, plus possibly start-stop driving conditions, will greatly reduce the car's real energy consumption below its manufacturer's test-track claims;

--- and probably more still....
      February 27, 2019 4:41 PM MST