Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Has a virtual assistant like Siri ever produced information for you that made absolutely no sense?

Has a virtual assistant like Siri ever produced information for you that made absolutely no sense?

I just went to make note of an appointment in my calendar and it auto-populated saying I was having dinner with my ex on a specific day/ time and that the details came from my messages. But, they didn't. There's nothing even remotely close to that in any of my messages. Not the day. Not the time. No mentions of dinner or anything at all. It's creepy. Siri is creepy. 

Posted - February 19, 2019

Responses

I've never used Siri or any virtual assistant because they are creepy. That would make me want to throw it in the trash. 
      February 19, 2019 6:08 PM MST

Never had a "virtual assistant" (whatever that means) named Siri. 
      February 19, 2019 8:32 PM MST

I will not allow that type of thing in my home or automobile....even if it is not operational. 
      February 19, 2019 8:51 PM MST

I said "Siri" because she's the Apple assistant- on all iDevices. I wasn't necessarily referring to her voice capabilities as some assumed here though. Just the "smart" predictive technology associated with assistants like Siri. 
      February 20, 2019 9:35 AM MST

• Siri is creepy.  We don't have one in our home and aren't intending to get one either.  There are many forms of technology that are really necessary in today's world, we don't think Miss Siri is one of them.  Just seems lazy to me in a lot of ways.
      February 20, 2019 3:18 AM MST

I made a note above, but I wasn't necessarily talking about voice. More so predictive tech/ assistants. 
      February 20, 2019 9:36 AM MST

I've never had one of those, they seem pointless to me.
    ~
      February 20, 2019 5:53 AM MST

You do have one. You have an iPhone. O_o I think I worded this question poorly. Where were you for that one, eh? :p
      February 20, 2019 9:36 AM MST

• Sounds like Siri is trying to play relationship counselor.  Tell her to mind her business. 

I think the most offensive encounter I've had with something along these lines is when I asked Alexa to play heavy metal songs and she kicked off a playlist with a Shinedown song. 
      February 20, 2019 7:31 AM MST

lol

Will Alexa trash-talk Siri? I ask Siri questions about Alexa from time to time and she gives coy answers that indicate a disdain for Alexa and focus on her love of the technology. I wonder if the Alexa programmers did something similar. 

My friend had one of the earlier Dots. It never worked right. Never. It would pick up conversations and start playing TV and music related to whatever it thought we were talking about. It never answered questions right either. 
      February 20, 2019 9:39 AM MST

• I'm going to have to try when I get home, lol.  I don't know if it talks smack or not. I have an echo dot that is pretty old as well and was given as a gift.  It's pretty much a waste but it seems some use.  Mostly playing music and checking the weather on the way out.  
      February 20, 2019 9:45 AM MST

That is CREEPY.  Based on your NOTES?  Where does a robot get off basing anything on anyone's notes?

I don't talk to robots except my GPS.  My Garmin makes no sense at all half the time.

Garmin Drive Series garmin drive 50lmt This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 20, 2019 9:59 PM MST
      February 20, 2019 9:44 AM MST

Based on my text messages. The program analyzed my text messages with him and somehow assumed I was meeting him for dinner, even though we never spoke about a meal or mentioned the date or time the program said either. 
      February 20, 2019 10:35 AM MST

I have never used Siri on my Apple devices, nor would I.  I would also not use alexa or anything similar.  The whole idea leaves me cold and shaking my head
      February 20, 2019 10:46 AM MST

I worded this poorly. I wasn't just speaking about voice technology, but more so about predictive tech, which you cannot shut off on Apple devices, as far as I know.
      February 21, 2019 11:41 AM MST