Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do Australian spies concoct schemes to sneak Vegemite into the food supplies of non-suspecting, non-Vegemite countries? Oh, my gut! Grrrr.

Do Australian spies concoct schemes to sneak Vegemite into the food supplies of non-suspecting, non-Vegemite countries? Oh, my gut! Grrrr.

~

Posted - February 22, 2019

Responses

Vegemite, though invented in Australia and still widely popular there,
    is now owned by Kraft Foods Group, Inc. an American grocery manufacturing and processing conglomerate
    headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, part of the Kraft Heinz Company.

If it is being sold and promoted in the USA, it is because the Kraft thinks the spread could become another source of more profits.
    It is now made in the USA and exported back to Australia.
    There are not enough Australians living in the States to justify Vegemite having a wide distribution there.
    Most Aussies know that non-Australians usually detest Vegemite.

For those who've never tried it,
    Vegemite is a strongly flavoured, brownish-black, smooth, thin spread.
    It's made from condensed yeast and vegetable broth and has a very high salt content.
    It's definitely an acquired taste - start with a tiny smear, and before long you'll start wanting more.
    Despite being rich in B vitamins, the excessive salt makes it not particularly healthy.
    Average Aussies may have it on their toast at breakfast, or kids might have it sandwiches at school.
    Pregnant women might have it with pickles or icecream.

Australia has experienced the same foodie boom that has swept the rest of the Western world,
    so probably Vegemite is considerably less popular now than it was when I was a kid.
      February 22, 2019 11:05 PM MST

I'll stick with my "Vetametavegamin" thank you very much.

This post was edited by . at February 23, 2019 6:11 AM MST
      February 23, 2019 6:09 AM MST