Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Whatever happened to the drone craze? Do we still use them? For what? I never hear anything about them anymore.

Whatever happened to the drone craze? Do we still use them? For what? I never hear anything about them anymore.

(It's a drone, get it?)

Posted - February 26, 2019

Responses

Apparently, someone was using a drone over the weekend to find a dog that was lost.  As it flew over a particular house, someone shot down the drone and was arrested for using a firearm.  It would seem the home occupant thought the drone was spying, not looking for a lost pet.
      February 26, 2019 9:42 AM MST

That is the funniest thing I have heard all week.  

Such a handy-dandy tool, those drones.   Interesting to see they are still trying to use them in places. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 26, 2019 9:49 AM MST
      February 26, 2019 9:47 AM MST

Drones can be used for good and/or evil.  I'm not sure what I would think if one was over my house.  What I do know is that I have no weapon to shoot it down.  There have been many drone sightings around area airports.  They are very dangerous should they get sucked into the engine of a plane.  I believe there were two incidents recently - one at Newark Airport. 

By the way, the dog was found and reunited with its owner.
      February 26, 2019 9:51 AM MST

Oh definitely.   I mean the idea they could locate a pet or even person is extraordinary.

But like (even guns) anything that has good qualities, this robotic flying device has a lot of glitches that really need to be corrected.  And I also think they can cause damage being in the wrong hands.  Just like guns.
      February 26, 2019 9:56 AM MST

I agree completely.
      February 26, 2019 8:26 PM MST

with drones, now everyone can film beautiful sceneries without needing an helicopter... 
      February 26, 2019 12:47 PM MST

As toys the craze has passed, 
    but people are continuously finding new tasks that drones do very well, so they're here to stay. This post was edited by inky at February 26, 2019 4:28 PM MST
      February 26, 2019 4:27 PM MST

drone

verb: drone; 3rd person present: drones; past tense: droned; past participle: droned; gerund or present participle: droning

1. make a continuous low humming sound.
    "in the far distance a machine droned"
    synonyms:
    hum, buzz, whir, vibrate, murmur, rumble, purr, hiss, whisper, sigh
    "we heard a plane droning overhead"
    speak tediously in a dull monotonous tone.
    "he reached for another beer while Jim droned on"

synonyms:
    speak boringly, speak monotonously, go on and on, talk interminably; More

intone, pontificate;
    informalspout, sound off, jaw, spiel, speechify, preachify
    "the president droned on about right and wrong"
    move with a continuous humming sound.
    "traffic droned up and down the street"

noun
    noun: drone; plural noun: drones

1. a low continuous humming sound.
    "he nodded off to the drone of the car engine"
    synonyms:
    hum, buzz, whir, whirring, vibration, murmur, murmuring, purr, purring, hiss, hissing, whisper, whispering, sigh
    "the drone of aircraft taking off"
    informal
    a monotonous speech.
    "only twenty minutes of the hour-long drone had passed"

2. a continuous musical note of low pitch.
    a musical instrument, or part of one, sounding a continuous note, in particular (also drone pipe ) a pipe in a bagpipe or (also drone string ) a string in an instrument such as a hurdy-gurdy or a sitar.
    noun: drone pipe; plural noun: drone pipes; noun: drone string; plural noun: drone strings

3. a male bee in a colony of social bees, which does no work but can fertilize a queen.
    a person who does no useful work and lives off others.
    synonyms:
    hanger-on, parasite, leech, passenger; More
    idler, loafer, layabout, lounger, good-for-nothing, do-nothing, sluggard, laggard;
    informallazybones, scrounger, sponger, cadger, freeloader, bloodsucker, waster, skiver, slacker
    "students came to be regarded as drones supported by taxpayers' money"

4. a remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile.

So what exactly are we talking about? Also, howinell do I break of indent mode?
      February 26, 2019 8:43 PM MST