Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Is there a way to stop Facebook from accessing my emails elsewhere?

Is there a way to stop Facebook from accessing my emails elsewhere?

I have a Facebook account under the Just Asking name, linked to a hotmail address I only use for answerMug and that I only access via Hotmail in my browser. 

I noticed it started recommending that I add friends who have nothing to do with answerMug... the secretary at my former pediatrician's office, who I spoke with once using my main personal gmail account via outlook, and clients, who I also speak with via outlook, using an email address assigned to my business domain. The only way Facebook could possibly know that I know these people, is if they're looking at the emails on my desktop, and accessing the email address I email... not even my "contacts" just random people I message who don't even know that "Just Asking" exists.

The other question is, does "Just Asking" show up in their recommended friends, too? O_o

I used the option to remove my imported contacts: https://www.facebook.com/contact_importer/remove_uploads.php but I didn't import these people in the first place and they're not saved in my address books, so I suspect Facebook will keep scraping away and adding them back until I figure out how to stop it.

Posted - August 27, 2016

Responses

The only way to get around that is to use a Linux operating system so that the little .exe tracking files that Facebook uses won't be able to run on your system at all.  There's absolutely no way to stop that completely if you're using a Windows computer.

August 27, 2016 8:01 PM MDT

Poop.

August 27, 2016 8:16 PM MDT

Sadly no Facebook is part of the New World Order thingey - I really don't know that but they are pretty powerful and they will do what ever they want to make  0.03 cents (selling e-mails and stuff like that) (I really don't know that for sure either). Cheers and happy weekend!

August 27, 2016 8:28 PM MDT

Double poop.

August 27, 2016 9:00 PM MDT