Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Rep Omar in trouble? The anti-Jewish stuff got diluted. But attacking Obama comparing him to Trump. How will they react?

Rep Omar in trouble? The anti-Jewish stuff got diluted. But attacking Obama comparing him to Trump. How will they react?

Omar says the “hope and change” offered by Barack Obama was a mirage. Recalling the “caging of kids” at the U.S.-Mexico border and the “droning of countries around the world” on Obama’s watch, she argues that the Democratic president operated within the same fundamentally broken framework as his Republican successor.

“We can’t be only upset with Trump. … His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar says. “And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”

Posted - March 9, 2019

Responses

• Although I'm not Jewish, I'm a supporter of the state of Israel as well as the Jewish people. As such, I could never tolerate or compromise with anyone possessing antisemitic sentiments or threats. Is Rep Omar in trouble? We could only hope that is the case. Sadly, as long as there is one Democrat in public life, this kind of person will be protected and excused vehemently. As long as this individual embraces the core agenda of the anti-Israel and anti-American demagogues, little will matter about Rep Omar's opinion of the Obama years. 
      March 9, 2019 1:36 PM MST

Right they glossed over her anti-Jewish remarks.  I think Pelosi etc will take her aside soon. 
      March 9, 2019 1:59 PM MST

• Criticism of "status quo" Democrats is not new. Omar herself is controversial, so her statements are getting played up, but we've heard things like this before, especially from people who opposed Hillary, an embodiment of status quo politics. People like Omar and AOC were elected by deliberately opposing the centrist wing of the Democratic party; I predict people like her will become more popular in the years to come. So no, I don't think she's in trouble. The hagiography of Obama is not universal among Democrats, especially among these younger, more left-leaning politicians. 
      March 9, 2019 1:40 PM MST

Maybe. The only Millenials I know are not Dems. So I will take your word for it. 
    But I have never heard anyone compare Obama to Trump...that is a new one for me.
      March 9, 2019 3:19 PM MST

dont know anything about it
      March 10, 2019 3:43 PM MDT