Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Do you think Bill Gates has done a tremendous job at defining the computer's world ?

Do you think Bill Gates has done a tremendous job at defining the computer's world ?

Look at the computer's world today. Most computers runs windows Operating System. Apple has its claws too on the computer market, but much more lower than how much windows computer there is today.

Posted - March 9, 2019

Responses

Yes, great job. But Apple is much bigger these days. Just go to a mall that has a an Apple and a Microsoft store, and look at the difference. 
      March 9, 2019 2:41 PM MST

Id say apple is bigger for the phones . 
      April 27, 2019 6:04 PM MDT

I don't respect Bill Gates so that precludes further regard to him. 
      March 9, 2019 5:38 PM MST

probably
      March 10, 2019 3:39 PM MDT

He did not invent the windows-pattern display though...

IBM did that!
      April 27, 2019 3:01 PM MDT

you mean the windows logo ? 
      April 27, 2019 6:05 PM MDT

No, not the logo; the "windows" display system.

The Microsoft "Windows" word with a capital W, and its  emblem, are only MS' trade-marks for its version of what IBM had pioneered.

SUN used a similar, basic windows system, but if the ones I saw at work were any guide, their computers were for the experts only. Their versions of the windows display was clear and simple, without all the gee-gaws and gimmicks Gates' lot inflicts on us, but the applications software was still very heavily command-line based.

'
    Incidentally the PC I use now is the first I bought new, and I went to an independent dealer because I find them more helpful than the supermarket-style chains. At the time, MS' latest was WIN 8, and the shop had one displaying the 8 desktop - all pictures instead of words. I don't like that, and the dealer offered to replace 8 with 7 Pro.. He explained it is a popular request from users wanting more than just social media, text messages and entertainments; and that the OS is actually the same behind 8's purely pictorial presentation. 

Like WIN NT years before, WIN 8 didn't last long. After its WIN 5 Pro zenith with Office applications that had obvious shortcomings but still suit serious purposes, was the still-acceptable WIN 7 Pro. Soon though, MS sank even further into bland mass-market-only frippery with its brief WIN 8 hieroglyphs and the dreadful WIN 10...

Odd that there do not seem to have been MS WINs 1, 2, 4, 6 and 9... unless they were so short-lived I missed them in the years since I was introduced to the PC with MS-DOS !

So to the dealer's offer to back-date but upgrade the computer from 8 to 7, I replied, "Yes please".
      April 28, 2019 3:15 AM MDT