Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » John Fitzgerald Kennedy was VERY WEALTHY. Why didn't HE bonespur his way out of serving his country in the military?

John Fitzgerald Kennedy was VERY WEALTHY. Why didn't HE bonespur his way out of serving his country in the military?

Posted - March 12, 2019

Responses

Because he had something all-too-rare nowadays: HONOR
      March 12, 2019 7:27 PM MDT

Indeed.  I'm gonna ask a question about that DB. I've heard of young men, boys really, lying about their age so they could join. It was an honor once upon a time to wear the uniform...any uniform...in serve of our country. Wonder what happened? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      March 13, 2019 1:52 AM MDT

Because he was an honorable man who loved his country.  
      March 12, 2019 8:18 PM MDT

Are there still men like that L? Or have they been weeded/bred out of the species? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 13, 2019 8:55 AM MDT
      March 13, 2019 1:49 AM MDT

I believe there still are honorable men.  Now that the military is all volunteer, those who choose to serve are those who are honorable.  I have special respect for legal immigrants who sign up to serve in the military in order to gain citizenship.  They know they are putting their lives on the line to defend their adopted country and I admire that greatly.
      March 13, 2019 8:56 AM MDT

You know what would be good? Listing all the war heroes who were emigrated here. People of color probably mostly. Photos too. Then present to don and see what he'd say/do. Thank you for your reply L!  :)
      March 14, 2019 6:55 AM MDT

Don would pooh-pooh it.  He would think they were stupid for putting themselves in the line of fire.  Happy Thursday. :)
      March 14, 2019 10:16 AM MDT

I'm sure with his family's influence he could of been assigned to a safe desk job but he was proud to serve on a PT boat and it was dangerous. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 13, 2019 1:39 AM MDT
      March 12, 2019 9:15 PM MDT

There was a time when young were  honored and proud to serve in the military. Some lied about their ages to try to get in. I wonder what happened to change that Nanoose? Thank you for your reply and Happt Wednesday! :)
      March 13, 2019 1:46 AM MDT

So was his big brother, Joe Jr., and he gave his life in WWII service.
      March 12, 2019 9:23 PM MDT

True Stu. Sad too. There was a time when young men wanted to serve in the military. "Join up". I even heard of some lying about how old they were to be accepted. Things change or people change and change things. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to you. This post was edited by RosieG at March 13, 2019 4:50 AM MDT
      March 13, 2019 1:48 AM MDT

JFK was from a kind of "corrupt" family.   Joe Kennedy was not lilly white by any stretch of the imagination.  He was in deep with the Mafia and promises to them.  He promised them many things that he could not deliver.  It is why his son was killed.  This is what I think from all that has been written.  I think Joe Kennedy offered the Mafia power that JFK could not publicly be seen bowing to.   JFK did many things that offended the Mob.  So? The rest is history.

I think the Mafia got JFK elected.  They  made sure the right wheels were greased.  So?  Why wouldn't Trump's family do the same? 

There are many comparisons at this juncture, but so many differences that there is NO comparison.  Trump is not fit to shine JFK's shoes.  JFK was a BRAVE HERO personna.  He really was passionate about his love for this country, about law and order, about fairness and justice.  A FAR CRY from the Trump cowardice, his jealousy due to his insecurity, his total disregard for this nation's welfare, forget about law or order, and he wouldn't know fairness if it spit in his eye.

March 13, 2019 2:01 AM MDT

Yes Sharon I know all about the history of old Joe and he dalliances into the movies and his affairs with other women and his mob connections. None of that means a dam* thing to me. What does is that JFK was a war hero and suffered for it when he didn't have to be in any war.  When he could have bought his wy out of serving his country and CHOSE not to do. That is my focus. Comparing Fred Trump's evils with Joe Sr? For what purpose? To what end? To make what  point? None of it has anything to do with my question. SIGH. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at March 13, 2019 4:55 AM MDT
      March 13, 2019 4:55 AM MDT

Not sure what this bonespurring is - not in any of the dictionaries I have access to.  In discussing JFK in WW2 it is important to point out his background. His father as ambassador to England became an object of public scorn for advocating that we go along with German demands because he saw no way we could defeat them in war.  And really it was that which made him basically disappear for the rest of his long life.  And hide from the public. So his sons naturally felt they had to live that down and they were quick to serve.  Worth mentioning that his brother died I think fighting in a plane. But in the early  1940s the mood of the country was such that you either served or paid some heavy dues.  They had conscientious objectors then but they were assigned all manner of difficult war work - that was the way things were back then. People who did not serve were sometimes even shunned. There were anti-war protests in the later 1930s but they would draw pro-war protests often in response. A lot of people served in WW2 and yes were many heroes but many people were killed and  many were so hurt by the experience they never got right again with the world.  JFK's father's influence got him a commission.  But though war makes heroes it also has many negative consequences as well.  On those who serve as well as on those who do not. 
      March 14, 2019 7:22 AM MDT

• There was a day when one didn't go far in politics without first serving in the military. Ambassador Kennedy had son Joe's life all neatly planned. Those plans included the White House. The Kennedy brothers were highly competitive, something old Joe promoted and fostered. If older brother enlists, then the younger brother follows closely behind. After Joe Jr. was killed in action, it was Joe Sr. that insisted that Jack pursue a career in politics. It was all that the Ambassador had left of his own personal political ambition. He lived it vicariously through his sons. There was all the makings of a Shakespeare tragedy. Perhaps that was why the family loved to quote him.
      March 14, 2019 7:49 AM MDT