Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Which matters MOST to you? The idea or the style/manner in which it is presented and the context? Why?

Which matters MOST to you? The idea or the style/manner in which it is presented and the context? Why?

Posted - March 13, 2019

Responses

The idea matters most.  But then again, it may never come to the surface unless it is presented in a compelling manner.

The idea of advertisments came into being because of this fact.
      March 13, 2019 9:06 AM MDT

Ever watch one of the 24/7 advertising shows where all they do is advertise products they wanna sell ya? I CANNOT STAND it. The fast patter the identical sales pitches the same delivery the practiced perfection the feigned surprise. It is totally disgusting. They hire people who talk fast talk loud are singsong perky and always oh so happy. Sometimes Jim watches and he mutes it and puts on the earphones just so I don't have to listen. Always selling you the best they ever offered you.. Everything they sell is always the best they've ever sold at the cheapest price they've ever offered. Now how can that possibly be true of everything all of the time?. I CAHN'T STEND it.  But it works for zillions of folks who get caught up in the schtick and the crap and the bull.  Give me a regular person who is NOT smooth and sleek and precise and perfect and I will listen long enough to determine what it is about. But slick turns me off immediately and I don't care what they have to say I can't take listening to it. These sleek slicks are always manipulating you and pretending they are not condescending to you but they are not good pretenders. Some folks lap it up. Just like some folks lap up liddle donny d. Go figger! Sheesh! Thank you for your reply Sharon!  :)
      March 13, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

For me, the idea is much more important than the manner in which it is presented. Where an idea comes from doesn't matter to me because the context of the idea is most times researched, studied and sometimes refined before I even put it into use. :)
      March 13, 2019 9:17 AM MDT

((hugs)) Sorry ru for the impertinence but I exactly completely and totally agree with you! SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 13, 2019 1:45 PM MDT

Style first ... because we are all creatures of "first impressions".
    So if the "headline" doesn't catch my attention - no matter what the subject, I probably won't read the story.
    On the other hand, if the "headline" does catch my attention - I'll probably read the story, even if it's not something I normally care about.

And also, if the manner the story is presented in is "boring" or "annoying" ... I'm less likely to read the whole thing, even if it's something I'm interested in.
      March 13, 2019 1:07 PM MDT

Here's the problem I have with your answer Walt. If the idea is electric dynamic exciting unique how can the delivery of it possibly dilute it? I'm not talking about a hyperbolic long-winded dull as mud speaker like liddle donny d. I'm talking a brilliant intellect with a magnificent idea. The delivery of Dr. Stephen Hawking was not exciting. It was labored and the voice was mechanical and you saw him sitting there helpless in his wheelchair. So what? Wouldn't you be riveted to listen to what he had to say? Anyway thank you for your reply. I'm really bored with the slick packaged perfect. Staged. Practiced. Memorized. Stiff. Rigid. Manipulative. Programmed. Uninteresting because of its slickness. You give me slick and I tune out. This post was edited by RosieG at March 13, 2019 1:51 PM MDT
      March 13, 2019 1:50 PM MDT

When I was in school, I often found class "boring" and "annoying" because the teacher was repeating things that had already been gone over more than once.  (a major problem of our current public school system)

Even in college, I had the same problem.
    I mean, in my Accounting classes I would get extremely annoyed with classmates who kept asking the teacher the same question over and over and over.  Thankfully, since I was paying for it, I was free to leave and study ahead.  
     - - -
    I'm not saying the delivery has to be exciting.
    But if the speaker doesn't seem interested in the subject, why should the listener be?

Now, Dr Hawking is the other end of the scale ... He would be so far above my head, unless he "dumbed it down" for me I would lose interest since I couldn't understand it.  LOL

March 13, 2019 2:50 PM MDT

Walt! What am I going to do with you? Seriously? You are forgetting that not everyone is as bright as you. Everyone doesn't grasp things as quickly as you do. Some people need to hear it over and over and over. Repetition is the only way they can learn. You cannot judge others by yourself. That isn't fair. I don't know if you have ever encountered anything you found difficult to grasp but you kept trying and trying and FINALLY you got it. Why? Because the teacher kept trying different ways of explaining the same thing. I have benefitted from the patience of people. Not just in school but in life. Certainly on both internet social sites. There are some pals who would patiently keep explaining things to me in different ways until finally a light went on over my head and I GOT IT! So I appreciate those who don't give up trying to help you understand something. Some things I get right away. Some things take longer. Some I will never understand because my brain's capacity is limited. I don't blame teachers for gearing their classes to the slow learners. Did you ever take AP classes? My kid was in the MGM (mentally gifted minors) classes in grammar school that were held AFTER regular school. It was there he learned how to program! 4th grade. I am serious. He is Chair of the Department of Computer and Information Sciences at a University. Who knew his profession would be anything remotely connected to computers? Thank you for your reply m'dear. Remember. Slow learners do the best they can. Just be glad you aren't one of them so folks don't get annoyed with YOU! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 14, 2019 3:44 AM MDT
      March 14, 2019 3:42 AM MDT

I don't blame the slow learners, Rosie.
    As I said, it is a problem of our public school system.
    People are put in grades based on their age ... and teachers are pressured to pass kids who don't really qualify for a higher grade.
    On the other hand, most students who are "faster" are not allowed to advance at their own rate - and are "held back" by the system.

In the "one room schoolhouse", before our current system, age was irrelevant.  Kids were taught at their individual level.
    They were also more likely to get individual attention ... so basically, study and advance at their own pace.
    This is part of why private schools (and home schooling) generally outperform public schools.
    The other reason is that, when parents have to pay for their own child's education, they tend to take it more seriously and be more involved.

March 14, 2019 7:09 AM MDT