Active Now

Urban Spaceman
Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An Answermug friend brought up the subject of TECHNIQUE as it relates to cooking. Technique? I don't think I have one. Do you?

An Answermug friend brought up the subject of TECHNIQUE as it relates to cooking. Technique? I don't think I have one. Do you?

Usually I just go into the kitchen, decide what I'm hungry  for and start preparing it. I rarely use recipes. Only for baking which I rarely do. Proportion is essential when you bake. But soups or casseroles or stir-frys? You just start and keep going until you've got something that tastes good and then you stop. Is that   a METHOD or a TECHNIQUE?

Posted - March 15, 2019

Responses

• I know little of how the pros do it. I'm one of those who enjoys getting in the kitchen on occasion with one idea to guide me: When it's right, you know it. At that point, leave it alone 'cause one wrong move could upset the apple cart. Now, I used to enjoy preparing for a crowd of fifteen or twenty when I was younger. Sometimes you could get away with a slip up in the name of fellowship and fun. The specialties of the house were stews, sauces, soups and so on. My spaghetti sauce seemed to have a good reputation on the south side of the county where we lived. 
      March 15, 2019 7:17 AM MDT

That's kinda mostly the things I make too DA. You don't measure. You just start putting together different things to achieve a final result. But when my friend brought up a comment about his wife"s TECHNIQUE in making a particular dish it stopped me short. Technique? I dunno. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      March 15, 2019 7:21 AM MDT

The way you cook is your technique. 

Have you ever watch other people cook?  Do they cook exactly like you do?  
    Some people have to use a recipe in order to cook; others create their own recipe as they cook.  Some people use measuring devices when they cook (recipe or not), while others simply "know" the right amounts.  Everyone has "ways" they do things while cooking.  Whether it's beating an egg, or using a certain tool, or adding that "secret ingredient", or carefully following the instructions on the package to the letter, or whatever. This is our "technique".  Some techniques are classy, others not so classy.  Even if a "pro" states that 'this is how you do it', doesn't mean it's the only way - or the best way.  It's simply the "best" way they've found out ... so far.  Having a technique when cooking doesn't necessarily mean one knows "how to cook".  One may be able to toss pizza dough like a pro and yet still have it come out tasting like used rubber. 

Cooking is simply putting together different ingredients and redistributing moisture.  How one goes about doing that is their "technique".
      March 15, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

• YES, I have a technique! 
    I can do some amazing twirls and high kicking
    when I'm scrambling an egg to the latest Kylie Minogue music.  I got moves !!!

See the source image
      March 15, 2019 10:52 AM MDT