Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do Jews and Muslims have the equivalent of Christian Saints? Like maybe Saint Schlomo or Saint Achmad.

Do Jews and Muslims have the equivalent of Christian Saints? Like maybe Saint Schlomo or Saint Achmad.

Posted - March 16, 2019

Responses

I'm pretty sure there are no saints in the Jewish religion.  
      March 16, 2019 2:19 PM MDT

How about Saint Jesus.  They do not believe He was God, but they do acknowledge he was a superior being.  Does that count?  I KNOW I KNOW it doesn't.

Oh and then there are Jews FOR Jesus.  That group.  Are they really Jews and do they have saints?

I'm gonna ask our educated panel..... This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 18, 2019 1:55 PM MDT
      March 18, 2019 12:31 PM MDT

Well...there is Saint Peter, the first Pope.
      March 18, 2019 1:15 PM MDT

• I have always been at a complete loss as to where the idea that Peter was ever a "Pope" came from.  Granted, I am not Catholic so I am not well versed on the matter of Popes.  All I am aware of is that his supposed Pope-hood is nowhere mentioned in the scriptures of the Bible.  Popes are not mentioned at all.  Seems like a grand assumption or a revision of original text to say Peter held such a position.
      March 18, 2019 1:21 PM MDT

Jews do not consider Jesus their savior.  Jews do not have saints.  I have no idea what Jews for Jesus believe.
      March 18, 2019 1:55 PM MDT

There is nothing in Judaism that compares to Christian saints. Jews have a concept called Tzadikim, which are not performers of miracles, but are simply very righteous individuals. 

Similarly in Islam, there is no comparable veneration of mortals as in Christianity. There are Muslims that other Muslims will look up to as extraordinary examples of piety, but their faith dictates that only Allah would know/could decide if they rank higher in his eye. There is no requirement for these individuals to have already died. 
      March 16, 2019 3:40 PM MDT

Thank you.
      March 16, 2019 5:25 PM MDT

All of this is, of course, much more involved than can be related on this site. Of the three major monotheisms, not only do Christians differ in raising mortals to divine status (sainthood), they also pray to dead mortals directly, and credit them for “miracles“. 

Jews and Muslims both recognize only a single persona of their God, as opposed to the multiple Godhead of the Christian Trinity. Miracles are not integral to their faiths, and there is no Vatican-style corporate hierarchy presiding over either religion. This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 17, 2019 7:00 AM MDT
      March 16, 2019 6:51 PM MDT

I have never studied such things and know little of what you say. I have devoted my life to science and the natural world. Mayhap I shall learn such things from you.
      March 16, 2019 7:50 PM MDT

Science and the natural world have long been passions of mine as well. I also love history. We could have some compelling discussions. 

I have studied faith and religion of every stripe from every attainable source over the last 35 years, and as an atheist, I still typically find myself more thoroughly versed on religion and its components than most self-proclaimed devout believers. 
    I hold —to paraphrase Neil deGrasse Tyson— that science represents the breadth of our knowledge, while religion represents the ever-receding picket of our ignorance.
    I have as yet seen no cogent argument to disprove this position. 

March 16, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

Aren't you Jewish, 99? If you are, I am not sure why you would need to ask this - not that there's anything wrong with asking, of course.
      March 16, 2019 9:33 PM MDT

A non-practicing Jew doesn't always know all there is to know about their religion.
      March 17, 2019 7:01 AM MDT

In reformed Christianity (Protestantism) a "saint" is simply a designation for any church members.  Equality. 
      March 17, 2019 8:07 AM MDT

Thanks. I didn't know that. So Saints are for the Catholics?
      March 17, 2019 10:27 AM MDT

I think other sects like perhaps Greek Orthodox have Roman-Catholic type saints as well.  But the basic idea of reformed Christianity is that we all in just believing are and so we do not need any mediatorial or priestly classes to intermediate or channel God - because we are to relate directly to God because of the sacrifice of Jesus restored our ability to have direct fellowship with God in prayer.  Not using all the proper terms but that is the way the thinking goes. 
      March 17, 2019 10:41 AM MDT

There is a tradition within Islam, especially Sufism, of venerating Awaliya (singular Wali), a concept often translated as "saint" - and of making pilgrimages to their tombs.

The practice however incurs the disapproval by many "radical", or ultra-conservative revivalist, Muslims, especially Wahhabi and Salafist.

There is no central authority to confer sainthood, as there is in Catholicism, so I assume that someone being recognised as a saint must depend on consensus and local tradition.
      March 18, 2019 12:28 PM MDT

Wow. I had you all wrong. I thought you were some zealot nut bag but you have some chops.  Thank you for this.  Way more than I knew.
      March 18, 2019 12:30 PM MDT