Discussion » Questions » Education » Here's a hint: Time can be represented by a straight line. Does that help?

Here's a hint: Time can be represented by a straight line. Does that help?

It's about finding the number of minutes before noon, not about time expanding.  I finally figured it out but, unfortunately, it took one whole day.

Posted - March 19, 2019

Responses

I was off by 2
      March 19, 2019 3:03 PM MDT

Time is not a linear function. It is determined by velocity.

Time Dilation Formula

Special relativity states that time can pass at different rates in different reference frames. The time depends on the velocity of one reference frame relative to another. In one reference frame, two events (for example, two ticks of a clock) will occur at the same position. In this reference frame, the time between the events is called one-position time or proper time, and is labeled Δt0. In another reference frame, an observer will see the two events happen in different positions. In the observer's reference frame, the time between events is called two-position time or observer time, and is labeled Δt. The observer time is always larger than the proper time. This effect is called time dilation. Both Δt0 and Δt are measured in seconds (s).

c = speed of light (3.0 x 108 m/s)
    This post was edited by Element 99 at March 20, 2019 9:07 AM MDT
      March 19, 2019 5:22 PM MDT

It gets me all tingly when you talk science.
      March 19, 2019 7:01 PM MDT