Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » All charges dropped and case sealed against Jussie Smollet. Police and Mayor are not happy. Biased justice?

All charges dropped and case sealed against Jussie Smollet. Police and Mayor are not happy. Biased justice?

He volunteered 16 hrs community service (with Jesse Jackson's org) and forfeited his $10,000 bail posted. 
Allegedly Michelle Obama's former aide pulled some strings with the Cook County PA.

Posted - March 27, 2019

Responses

Where did you hear Michelle Obama was involved?
      March 27, 2019 7:19 AM MDT

It was on the news. There are text messages. 
      March 27, 2019 7:33 AM MDT

I'd like to know which news station that was.  Where are the texts?
      March 27, 2019 9:08 AM MDT

It was on this morning. I don't remember which. I surf between 6 news channels in the morning. I am sure it is on Google somewhere.
      March 27, 2019 9:40 AM MDT

I suggest that your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired.  Nowhere does it claim that Michelle Obama herself is involved.  It was her former chief of staff.

"Here’s the bottom line: Kim Foxx, the Cook County State’s Attorney, tried to convince Chicago police to turn the Jussie Smollett case over to the FBI, Chicago newspapers reported. Her action came after a conversation with Michelle Obama’s former chief of staff and with a Smollett relative who has not been named. You can read those texts here."

https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/jussie-smollett-michelle-obama-barack/

"The credibility of the Cook County state’s attorney’s office was already compromised after Kim Foxx had to recuse herself because she corresponded with Tina Tchen, the former chief of staff for Michelle Obama, after Smollett had reported that he was attacked on Jan. 29."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/cook-county-states-attorneys-fumbles-smollett-case/

"Text messages exchanged between Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx and ex-Michelle Obama aide Tina Tchen continue to face increasing scrutiny in the wake of Smollett's record being wiped clean on Tuesday."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6855937/Critics-question-Jussie-Smolletts-Obama-connections-involved.html

Nowhere does is indicate that Michelle Obama is directly involved in Smollett's dropped charges.  But, I'm sure it will make you feel better to think any Obama is guilty of anything at all.

March 27, 2019 10:58 AM MDT

As I told you I was channels surfing. Not reading. Evidently I missed the Obama aide part.  
    I will fix my question. Thank you. 
      March 27, 2019 11:40 AM MDT

You, like Trump, were hoping for dirt.  

Sorry.  WRONG.  Surf with a little more accuracy.  DON'T turn into ME!!!!
    LOL
      March 27, 2019 11:43 AM MDT

This is how FAKE NEWS gets started.
      March 27, 2019 12:50 PM MDT

Perhaps but I guess no justice is completely unbiased. 
      March 27, 2019 8:11 AM MDT

One of my law professors made the observation that "The law does not do total justice."
      March 27, 2019 9:17 AM MDT

Shows a two-tiered system. Not new but is usually hid better.
      March 27, 2019 9:45 AM MDT

"Two-tiered " in what way? 
      March 27, 2019 10:03 AM MDT

One for regular people. And one for rich and famous people. 

If I had staged a fake attack. I would be in prison.  Smollet paid $10,000 and 16 hrs community service. And has a clean record.
      March 27, 2019 10:55 AM MDT

OK.   But seems to me if the prevailing mood is for people to look for "racism" under every rock it stands to reason some people will take advantage of that for personal gain.  But can understand why the police would be so pissed if they did a lot of work for nothing.  I wouldn't want to put them in prison or anyone for just that and he has been embarrassed and fined which might be enough. I don't really know as much about this as you do. 
      March 27, 2019 11:05 AM MDT

As I asked my wife this morning...WHY IS THIS NEWS? WHO GIVES A CRAP?
      March 27, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

Proves a two tier legal system. Very disgusting. 
      March 27, 2019 9:42 AM MDT

Oh.  SMOLLETT?  I thought when I saw this on the home page that you were talking about Barr.  Okay.  I see.  You ARE capable of seeing this corruption when it SUITS you.
      March 27, 2019 11:46 AM MDT

Well, it WAS total crap.  THEN?  All kinds of BIG WIGS are trying to put this to bed and all charges are dropped?  That is a bit more intriguing.

I'll keep you abreast if anything earth shattering materializes and you can go back to sleep.
      March 27, 2019 11:45 AM MDT

I think the company that makes the MAGA hats should sue him in a civil trial, for "defamation of character" or "libel/slander"
      March 27, 2019 8:42 AM MDT

I  don't know if slander applies to an object.
      March 27, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

I'm not sure either.
    I was thinking along the lines that he was making a false claim, specifically including the MAGA hat, thus associating the hat as part of the "costume" of anyone committing a racially-motivated attack.  Basically putting the MAGA hat in the same category as a KKK outfit.

I'm sure a good lawyer could make a better case than I am here.  LOL
      March 27, 2019 10:14 AM MDT

My 2 this is so bizarre.

This guy is as guilty as Donald Trump.  

Why they covered this up is beyond me.  Even the police are infuriated.  There is no rhyme or reason to do this.

I'm pretty sure Michelle Obama is NOT involved at ALL.  I don't care what you say Michelle Obama said.   If she said anything, it was before the facts were out and he was being lambasted before the facts are in.

I don't have to read anything. I know how she thinks.  I know how you think and you will do anything you can to spin this your way to make the Dems look bad.

Just days after Jussie Smollett told Chicago police he had fought off a pair of attackers who targeted him in an apparent hate crime, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx tried to persuade Police Supt. Eddie Johnson to turn the investigation over to the FBI.

Foxx’s call to Johnson came after an influential supporter of the “Empire” actor reached out to Foxx personally: Tina Tchen, a Chicago attorney and former chief of staff for former First Lady Michelle Obama, according to emails and text messages provided by Foxx to the Chicago Sun-Times in response to a public records request.

Tchen passed Foxx’s number to a relative of the actor, and the ensuing conversations with the family member were cited by Foxx last month as the reason she recused herself from Smollett’s prosecution as the actor faces disorderly conduct charges for allegedly making a false police report.

He tweeted Tuesday afternoon: “Unless some better explanation surfaces, here’s the lesson of this weird turn in the Smollett case: You can contrive a hate crime, make it a national news, get caught and-if you are a well-connected celebrity-get off for $10K and have your record expunged and files sealed.”

JUSSIE SMOLLETT'S ALLEGED HATE CRIME ATTACK: A TIMELINE OF EVENTS

In an astonishing reversal, prosecutors on Tuesday abruptly dropped all charges against Smollett, abandoning the case barely five weeks after the “Empire” actor was accused of lying to police about being the target of a racist, anti-gay attack in downtown Chicago.

Smollett’s attorneys said his record had “been wiped clean” of the 16 felony counts related to making a false report that he was assaulted by two men. The actor insisted that he had “been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one.”

In a thread on Twitter, ex-Obama adviser David Axelrod, right, condemned “this weird turn in the (Jussie) Smollett case.” (Getty)

In a thread on Twitter, ex-Obama adviser David Axelrod, right, condemned “this weird turn in the (Jussie) Smollett case.” (Getty)

Axelrod, who majored in political science at the University of Chicago and now is a political consultant and analyst, added on Twitter, “No. Sorry, folks. The brief statement offered by the prosecutor didn’t dispute the basic facts in the original charge. That’s why he was compelled to sacrifice his bond. They simply said that in light of his voluntary work in the community, this was a just resolution.”

The former political writer for the Chicago Tribune continued: “Hate crimes are loathsome. Faking them is insidious and shouldn’t be excused. Despite Smollett’s denials, nothing the prosecutor said in dismissing the case supports that. If prosecutors have evidence that contradicts the indictment THEY brought, they should share it today.”

Later in the afternoon, Axelrod concluded, calling the circumstance “outrageous.”

“‘The fact that (Smollett) feels that we have exonerated him, we have not. I can’t make it any clearer than that’ So says the lead prosecutor in Smollett case. So why allow Smollett to get off for $10K and have his records expunged and case files sealed?” Axelrod tweeted. “Smollett repaid the city $10k, ostensibly as an offset for the investigation his phony charges ignited that cost the City of Chicago in the millions. It really is outrageous.”

The mayor and police chief blasted the decision and stood by the investigation that concluded Smollett staged a hoax. A visibly angry Mayor Rahm Emanuel called it “a whitewash of justice” and lashed out at Smollett, asking, “Is there no decency in this man?”

Emanuel, who is in his final weeks in office after two terms, said the city saw its reputation “dragged through the mud” by Smollett’s alleged plan to promote his career. The hoax, the mayor said, could endanger other gay people who report hate crimes.

“Now this casts a shadow of whether they’re telling the truth, and he did this all in the name of self-promotion,” he said.

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson stood by the department’s investigation and said Chicago is “is still owed an apology.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

It was not immediately clear what prompted the decision to dismiss the case. In a statement, the Cook County prosecutors’ office offered no detailed explanation. The city will keep the $10,000 in bail money that Smollett paid to get out of jail after his arrest.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” said the statement from spokeswoman Tandra Simonton.

Typically, a minimum condition of dropping cases is some acceptance of responsibility.

Outside court, neither Smollett nor his legal team appeared to concede anything about his original report.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 27, 2019 10:10 AM MDT
      March 27, 2019 8:46 AM MDT

We agree on something. Imagine that. Lol (except you 2nd sentence)
      March 27, 2019 10:12 AM MDT

"Total exoneration - - total innocence -- I'm totally innocent . . . it was a witch hunt .  .  . the witch hunt was treasonous .  . total exoneration  . . . I'm innocent of everything."

Biased justice? If it's good for one, it's good for the other.

I admit I'm not being rational but it's what I've thought for the last couple of days on recent events.

March 27, 2019 7:51 PM MDT