Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » ARE MY PRICES TOO MUCH OR JUST RIGHT FOR BABYSITTING FOR A FEW HOURS FOR THE DAY

ARE MY PRICES TOO MUCH OR JUST RIGHT FOR BABYSITTING FOR A FEW HOURS FOR THE DAY

my brother asked me to babysit this friday, I said want $10hr...for 5 hours....$50 for the day...he said im charging too much, I said u pay the daycare that....and maybe even more....the kid has to eat too....I gotta feed my niece also...well now he thinks im charging too much and said nevermind a bout keeping my niece...and now he is mad at me. am I charging him too much or are my prices just fine?

Posted - March 27, 2019

Responses

I wouldn't of expected to have been paid for having my niece and nephews on random days and evenings, I absolutely adored having them, and my sister would have made sure food was in the cupboards or if they wanted to eat out she would have covered it.
      March 27, 2019 10:38 AM MDT

the kids would be at my house and id have to cook them my food...
      March 27, 2019 10:40 AM MDT

OH MY GOD.

YOU ARE AN ADULT?  I THOUGHT THIS WAS A KID.  Come on.  Either your brother is a selfish weirdo who is ignoring your desperate NEED FOR MONEY, or you are someone who is taking advantage of the situation.  Someone is not acting in a family manner.
      March 27, 2019 11:35 AM MDT

It wouldn't matter, I still babysat my sisters children at no cost, I'm their aunt I wanted to spend time with them.
      March 27, 2019 2:41 PM MDT

its my time and my food, i think i should be paid for that....nothing in life is free....if he can pay the daycare why cant he pay me his sister....that's 5hrs of my time....
      March 27, 2019 10:42 AM MDT

If you have things you would rather do in that period of time then don't take the kid.  But if you can't take advantage of your own family then who can you take advantage of?  Up to a point of course. 
      March 27, 2019 10:45 AM MDT

YES YES YES
      March 27, 2019 11:35 AM MDT

From your question this is a random Friday, in fact the first time he has ever asked you to babysit, most family members will willingly sit their family for free because they like to spend time with their niece and nephews.  The fact that you refer to your niece or nephew as "the child" clearly shows you do not have the feelings of an aunt towards them.  Your relationship with you brother and his family clearly isn't a warm or close one. Maybe one day you'll need your brother to sit your children, I hope his response is the same "How much are you going to pay me?" 
      March 28, 2019 12:13 PM MDT

Are you accustomed to collecting a salary for caring for members of your own family?  The few times I cared for my oldest brothers kids I did not expect anything. And certainly now every week I take my oldest stepdaughter's kid I don't expect anything.   Of course is dependent on my being able to fit them into my schedule which I try to do.  Simply as a courtesy to family.  If you and your brother are accustomed to charging one another for services then you will need to come to some kind of agreement between yourselves. Might work to have each of you name your figures and then to compromise. 
      March 27, 2019 10:43 AM MDT

• I wouldnt and dont charge my sister to watch my niece, so yeah. And why are you yelling? 
      March 27, 2019 10:47 AM MDT

this is the first time he's ever asked me to babysit...the child normally goes to a daycare which is paid weekly...I do understand im family but u want to use my services , but I shouldn't get paid, and the daycare should...what kind of crap is that....family or not....that's time and food....which aint cheap This post was edited by MYSTICFEMALE12 at March 27, 2019 12:04 PM MDT
      March 27, 2019 10:49 AM MDT

• Oh okay, I’ll admit I didn’t read all your details cos I found it hard to read. But you have a point there if watching the kid in place of daycare time. I thought you just meant for a weekend or something. 
      March 27, 2019 10:51 AM MDT

The daycare are not family but are strangers being hired to do a particular job which for whatever reasons the kid's family is unable or unwilling to do.   Perhaps you and your brother do not get on so well so there is some resentment in his asking you to sit.   Babies do not eat much at all.  You could do a trade of services by saying OK I will do this for you if you will do whatever (something he is able to do) for me.  But since it sounds like he is willing to pay something then just compromising on the price should be OK.  But if he is just asking for a one-time favor it might benefit your relationship with him to just do it for what he offers you this time.  You don't want to do it at all just say no. 
      March 27, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

I don't think 50 bucks for 5hrs is a bad deal....and she gets homecooked food...
      March 27, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

• Who are you talking to? Hit reply to the person you’re responding to. 
      March 27, 2019 10:54 AM MDT

I would do it for 25.  For 50, I would clean the house as well.

You are mercenary and will never go far nickling and diming your relatives like this.

Try thinking about how you can HELP people and make them want to hire you.  If your heart is not into making money in a way that helps others as well as you?  You will fail.  Who cares about the extra money?  It is the goodwill of you and your brother.  He is family.  If this is how you treat each other?  This is not a family, this is a business concern. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 27, 2019 5:23 PM MDT
      March 27, 2019 11:01 AM MDT

I wouldn't dream of charging anyone in my family for watching my nieces and nephews or my great nieces and nephews.  So what if you have to feed the child?  I think that not only are you out of line charging $10 an hour, you're out of line charging him at all and he's right to be angry with you.  
      March 27, 2019 11:04 AM MDT

THANK YOU.  I agree. However, I did not go all out about this because he may be just as mercenary as her and this is how they deal with one another.  Maybe he is a rich guy and stingy?  I doubt it, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.  I don't charge friends for favors and I certainly don't charge relatives.  I would think it was a pleasure to watch my niece.  But????
      March 27, 2019 11:06 AM MDT

wow, I guess you are supposed to work for free....go too work and tell your boss youll work for free then....wages aren't needed...u all are something else
      March 27, 2019 11:17 AM MDT

• You seem nice. 
      March 27, 2019 11:20 AM MDT

What kind of a defense attorney are you?  
      March 27, 2019 11:25 AM MDT

NO.  You are right.  No one works for free.

BUT?  You are not working for free.  You are part of a family.  Your brother is doing YOU a favor.  He is offering you money which you would NOT have because you are not lifting a finger to look for employment are you?

Are you working?  Are you a babysitter and a service?  I don't think so.  Are you a spoiled entitled child who is sheltered?  And doesn't have any gratitude?

That is what I am trying to find out.

If you are very young?  I get it.  But $50 bucks for five hours?  Come on.  This is your brother and you just want to cash in.  THIS IS NOT YOUR BOSS.  Your boss would not negotiate and you would be lucky to get $50 bucks for five hours of anything around here.  That's NET not GROSS.  For sitting around and watching a family member in a nice cushy house.

Where do you live?  Are you guys rich?  That makes a difference.  Around my neck of the woods, no one is going to pay you fifty bucks for five hours of watching anyone.  Unless they are sick and need care.  Then it is 20 bucks an hour.  Is your niece sick?  Are you a nurse?  I did not think so. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 27, 2019 5:26 PM MDT
      March 27, 2019 11:22 AM MDT

so you all are saying  I shouldn't get paid, and the daycare should...what kind of crap is that....babysitting is babysitting family or not....that's time and food....which aint cheap ....you think cuz someone is family they are supposed to be used and work for free...GTFOH....then you go 2 work tomorrow and do your work and tell your boss you don't have to pay me, theres no diff is what you all are saying....u all are easy to run and can easily be walked all over....and that is sad and pathetic....

this is not my child ...so why should I have to babysit for free....the world don't revolve around you and yours....$10hr for my 5hrs of time plus food that I bought and I cook is a decent price.....its not greed its a principal behind it....work aint freakin free This post was edited by MYSTICFEMALE12 at March 27, 2019 11:47 AM MDT
      March 27, 2019 11:46 AM MDT

AND YOU ARE NOT MY AUNT. THANK GOD.  THANK GODDDDDD. Poor kids and dumb brother for even trying to ask you for anything.

I am not rich. NOT BY A LONG SHOT. But there is no way I could not cook a great meal for extra kids and spend one DIME more. 

What kind of homemade meals are you MAKING if you don't know how to make a few more carrots and potatoes?   Buy some PASTA for gosh sakes. It goes FAR. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 27, 2019 5:27 PM MDT
      March 27, 2019 11:47 AM MDT