Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » why is rny neighbor downstairs allowed to have her grandkids practically living there when theyre not on the lease?

why is rny neighbor downstairs allowed to have her grandkids practically living there when theyre not on the lease?

and yes they have parents, theyve been here for wks already, and they keep constantly staying here, so i get stuck hearing a lot of running around all day, every day, not to rnention i cant sleep in, theyre not on her lease and this is senior housing, so why is this allowed, any ways to end it, i love kids but i dont want to live in a gyrn, any suggestions? they bother other neighbors too.

Posted - March 30, 2019

Responses

Get a life Pearl.  
      March 30, 2019 11:32 AM MDT

Ok. I'll give you a break.  Are they mean kids?  Are they disrespectful and noisy?  Maybe that is why they are dumped on grandma.  Maybe you have a reason to be miserable.

Or are they just normal kids?  If they are, maybe you should invite them in and make friends.  You need company and so do they.   They need someone to pay attention to them.  
      March 30, 2019 12:07 PM MDT

If they are keeping you awake at night then speak to your Landlord, most children go to be early so is isn't normally a problem, if it is bothering others in the building ask them if they have complained to the Landlord or spoken to the lady concerned? If children are just running about in the day there isn't much you can do as it isn't in unsocial hours and wouldn't be classed as unsocial noise. 

I do sympathise with you, when I lived in flats I had a couple below me that had children and they had put hard flooring in on floating floors, so they sounded like elephants running up and down and made my flat feel like it was moving.  I did find out that there was lack of sound insulation between the floors and that hard flooring wasn't allowed in the building, however they had forgotten to put in the terms of the lease, when the couple moved out it was then implemented, and all tenants above ground level were required to have carpet.  Try foam earplugs at night, and perhaps some music and headphones in the day, or get out for at least an hour a day for a break, or get a partner and have really noisy sex or pretend your having really noisy sex (no person wants to listen to that for any amount of time and it might hit home how bad the noise is transferred between floors)  Other than that you may have to move but that doesn't guarantee you won't move near the same problem. 
      March 30, 2019 1:25 PM MDT

There are few laws that really applies to kids. Kids are 'always' special cases and the surrounding circumstances must be considered every time.

That you do not love 'the patter of little feet' is not very important here ;-))
      March 30, 2019 2:33 PM MDT