Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Does "smoking" marijuana cause lung and other cancers? I smoked it for about 5 years as a teenager but the thought never occurred to me,

Does "smoking" marijuana cause lung and other cancers? I smoked it for about 5 years as a teenager but the thought never occurred to me,

then, that it could be almost as bad as smoking cigarettes.  Every time I go to a doctor and fill out a questionnaire, it always asks if you smoke cigarettes, not pot.
If you smoked pot in your past, do you think you should let your doctor know? 

Posted - April 10, 2019

Responses

I smoked it since I was 17 on and off for 50 years and I am fine.  I have never heard of any cases (though I am sure there are some) of any lung cancer caused by smoking marijuana. 

I KNOW darned well if there was?  We would be hearing about it from the naysayers on a daily basis.  I have gone to doctors (REAL DOCTORS) who claim they cannot believe the results from studying patients who use the drug.  

They believe as I do that this wonder drug does WAY more good than harm.  Unlike opioids and unlike BOOZE.  

Even if you smoked cigarettes that long ago you wouldn't have cancer from that short experience.  And weed is something that people inhale much less of than CIGARETTES.

I bypassed this problem a long time ago.  I eat my meds.  Much better for me and much smoother of a dose.  
      April 10, 2019 9:52 AM MDT

I think that one day the WHO will come out and say pot smoking causes cancer.  Just like they came out 5 years ago and said that cell phone usage can cause brain damage or cancer.  I'm guessing that pot smoking is not as bad as cigarettes, but just to be on the safe side, it would be better to use it in a different form. All smoke is bad for your lungs.

I like your comment "I bypassed this problem...".  There's pills for everything!  
      April 10, 2019 10:09 AM MDT

NO.  I never take any pills.  This comes in food form.  Pills are bad and probably are as bad as smoking.  But since Trump is claiming that the windmills in this country cause cancer,  there are imits to what he says.  Or lies about.  No one listens except his base of zombies. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 10, 2019 1:11 PM MDT
      April 10, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

The 'brain cancer from phones' is a load of crap.
      April 10, 2019 11:27 AM MDT

That was Natz's point.  IT was total stupid.  
      April 10, 2019 11:30 AM MDT

Generally ... no.
    Cigarettes cause cancer because of all the chemicals they add.

April 10, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

Wasn't there a time not so long ago that they claimed that the TAR in pot was worse than tobacco?  I never coughed up one spitball when I smoked.  And I smoked regularly for years.  I have never had a lung xray taken but I think I would have had some indication after all this time.  
      April 10, 2019 10:15 AM MDT

I don't recall hearing that.
    I'm just more familiar with it, since it's been legalized in Oregon and Washington.

What I really want to know is ... why aren't the Girl Scouts suing over the name "Girl Scout Cookie" being used for pot edibles?!?  LOL
      April 10, 2019 10:18 AM MDT

Oh that was such a good strain.  I think it has been bastardized and diluted and screwed with by now, but when it was great?  SOOO good. They should thank the Industry not sue them.  And they will sell a hell of a lot more "cookies" if they add that.  
      April 10, 2019 11:56 AM MDT

I think the smoke of cigarettes is worst than the smoke of pot for the body. Pot is more 'natural'; And in your case , you could let your doctor know that you smoked pot, he wont be angry about it. 
      April 10, 2019 11:06 AM MDT

Very fine point.  And as Walt said above, they add a lot of chemicals to cigarettes and it poisons the body and makes one addicted to that filthy garbage.  

Pot is more natural.  It is not something we should all do.  I think being alive and healthy and free of addictions is most natural. But I am practical. My nerves are hurting and it makes me react in ways I do not want to react like.  And pot helps keep me awake, alert and yet calm and stable. I realize this is not the effect everyone gets.

Marijuana is not for everyone.  But for those of us who need it, it is a miracle drug.
      April 10, 2019 11:34 AM MDT

GRRR, my post never made it
    since this is rather important
    will try again.
         I smoke the herb through a water pipe.
    I will never smoke a joint again, and when 
    I do smoke it, it is always through
    a water pipe as previously said.
    Have always noticed that the water pipe
    filters out some yucky looking tarry
    substance. So one day I shook some 
    of what appeared to be little balls of tar
    out of an old water pipe.
         Yuck...Put it on my finger
    and it was just like tar. Sticky stuff
    that wouldn't come off. It took some time to
    get it off of the fingers. The water pipe is full of these little balls
    of tar. So cover the lungs in this tarry stuff and 
    it is not good. Recently switched to a three filter system
    water pipe that really filters out that tar, Had no idea that 
    this stuff was in the smoke.
        Even with this precaution, the lungs still get coated,
    and will reach a point, where the cough starts, and one should stop
    for awhile to clear the lungs.
         Smoking a joint, without any filtering, is not good for the lungs,
    that get covered in tar and eventually will cause some problems
    for the person. Yucky stuff that tar. 

April 11, 2019 8:00 AM MDT

It is a carcinogen, as dangerous as tobacco who knows.  Everything in life has risks so......  Since you are the Master of your fate do as you wish as long as you do not harm others.

BTW did you know excess sugar can kill you as well via many vehicles.  Ciao
      April 11, 2019 12:07 PM MDT