Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We broke the ice electing a Catholic prez. JFK. We broke deeper when we elected an African American. Now whom do we elect next?

We broke the ice electing a Catholic prez. JFK. We broke deeper when we elected an African American. Now whom do we elect next?

Well of course there is Mayor Pete. A military vet who is a  RHODES SCHOLAR which means he is BRILLIANT who also happens to be openly gay. He seems to be impressing many folks including some who are "across the aisle". Then too we have the women who are running, some of whom are women of color. I think any one of them will break more ground (ice to continue the metaphor). We don't need to settle for rich old white nationalist reactionary antiquated addlepated homo saps any more ever again. Isn't that good news?

Posted - April 15, 2019

Responses

I do not care about identity politics. It is policy that matters. 
      April 15, 2019 6:58 AM MDT

I guess that means whoever is considered hip and in and with it at the time.

The latest novelty.  This post was edited by officegirl at April 15, 2019 8:54 AM MDT
      April 15, 2019 7:14 AM MDT

How about a FEMALE African-American with a Purple Heart? Tammy Duckworth for President!
      April 15, 2019 7:20 AM MDT

Tammy Duckworth is not African-American.  She is Thai-American.
      April 15, 2019 8:10 AM MDT

Eh ... all Americans can claim to be African-American, when we go back enough generations.
      April 15, 2019 8:33 AM MDT

If we go back enough generations the whole world can claim African-XYZ.  At that point it means nothing, which is good. It should mean nothing, politics should be about policy not identity of the candidate. 
      April 15, 2019 8:54 AM MDT

Exactly right.

April 15, 2019 11:06 AM MDT

Butting in here. TOUCHE Walt. Yes. We homo saps took our first breaths in Africa. So yes we are all brothers and sisters. We are all related to one another. No exceptions. Getting certain people of a particular stripe and mindset to admit that? Hah! This post was edited by RosieG at April 16, 2019 3:58 AM MDT
      April 16, 2019 3:57 AM MDT

:):):)
      April 15, 2019 11:36 AM MDT

If you can convince her to run for prez then we can talk about it R! She is a superduper selection and you and I discussed this before when you brought her up on another thread. I'm all for it. So what d'ya think would be the best way to approach her?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      April 15, 2019 12:14 PM MDT

I'd love to see us "break the ice" of having better than 90% eligible voter turnout, and people not just voting for someone because that person is their Party's candidate.

THAT would be a truly historic moment.

EDIT:
    Btw - India is now having their election.
    Over 900 million eligible voters.  That is about 3x the entire population of the US.
    And they are required to have at least 1 polling station within 2 kilometers of people.  So they had people trekking the jungles, climbing mountains, and wading through rivers - carrying portable election stations, so everyone who is eligible has an opportunity to vote. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at April 15, 2019 11:39 AM MDT
      April 15, 2019 8:34 AM MDT

Me too Walt but that would require lazy sloths to give a dam* which they clearly don't. You can lead a horse to water you can't make him drink. I think voting is the least an American citizen should be required to do. Well paying taxes but they probably cheat. There are those who are so selfish they won't lift a finger to make anything better for anyone at any time including themselves! How stupid dumb have they become or were they born that way and just stayed? Thank you for your reply!
      April 15, 2019 11:59 AM MDT

A nice gay boy from Harvard.  Mayor Pete.

Pete Buttigieg campaign raised more than $1M in hours after 2020 announcement

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 15, 2019 12:15 PM MDT
      April 15, 2019 8:38 AM MDT

Mayor Pete is BEYOND ASTONISHING. Listening to him speak is a privilege. What he has to say is worth hearing which is orders of magnitude more better than almost any other politician in recent memory. Perhaps the time has come to embrace Intelligence/honor/true patriotism and goodness. Now that would certainly be my cuppa tea. Thank you for bringing him up. I would LOVE to see him debate Dondonjohn. :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 15, 2019 12:19 PM MDT
      April 15, 2019 12:18 PM MDT