Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » If you spoke with people in real life the way you talked to people while you were driving, what would happen?

If you spoke with people in real life the way you talked to people while you were driving, what would happen?

The way people drive at my children's school gives me fits. The layout of the drop-off zone is very easy to follow. There's one long curb for people to pull up to. You drop off your kid and pull forward, then out. However, there's usually a really long line which can sometimes reach a half-mile long or more. Impatient parents will often pull onto the shoulder and then cut back in later in an attempt to skip the line. Instead of waiting for the curb line to move forward, they'll also dart around cars there too, including those in line/ actively dropping off children. It's bad. 

This is the only place where I get "road rage." It makes me mad that I'll sit in line waiting and they won't. It also frustrates me because it's an elementary school and there are small kids everywhere. It's just a matter of time before one of these impatient parents kills a kid because they can't be bothered to spare a few minutes to wait in line. 

Today while I was waiting in line and got cut off, I said out loud (yeah, I talk to other drivers... I bet you do too) "Ooh... you're a special kind of person," and then to another driver, "Cut me off and I'll squish you." (I wasn't serious. Just venting and being silly.) My daughter shook her head in disgust and expressed frustration too, and then it hit me. What if I actually said those things to people in real life? I wouldn't. I'd either get decked or put in an insane asylum. My kids and I actually had a good laugh about what life would be like if we all talked to people the way we do from our cars. So, now I'm curious... what would happen if you guys talked to people the way you do from you car? O_o 

Posted - April 18, 2019

Responses

You need to learn to relax.  The world is filled with impolite and stupid people.  It's best not to blend in.  

I'm trying to learn to let them be (and it's not easy!!!).  I cannot stand stupid, impolite, idiotic, drivers (and this town is inundated with them!!).  However, they're not worth me giving myself a heart attack in trying to "educate" them.
      April 18, 2019 4:59 PM MDT

Nothing, I don't say much while I'm driving.  Except the other day I was behind a 3 car crash between the fast lane and the cement barrier.  Not sure who tried to pass first but the little tiny car in the middle really got squished.  I did call 911. 
      April 18, 2019 5:09 PM MDT

One day I'm sure I'll find out. During that period of time between using the heater and using the A/C, I've sometimes forgotten that my windows were rolled down. 
      April 18, 2019 5:17 PM MDT

That situation outside your daughter's school sounds like a nightmare.
    I wonder would the P&C consider doing something about it?
    The question reminds me of Carey's film, Liar Liar.
    What if we were all compelled to be 100% honest all of the time?
    We might learn how to express honesty in non-abusive ways.

I can't remember ever having felt road rage.
    But that would be because I live in a rural area where traffic is sparse. Most of the locals behave in a pretty relaxed way most of the time.
    We get the occasional hooning teenager or drunk. Whatever idiotic thing they do, it's over so quickly that there's no tome to sit and stew over it.
      April 18, 2019 5:53 PM MDT

• I probably would have been murdered by now or at least be missing a few teeth. 
      April 18, 2019 6:53 PM MDT

One call to the police might fix this.  The police will contact the school to help them plan the best route for car pool and have a police presence there during pick up and drop off hours.  Our police were always everywhere and the speed limit was 10 in the school zone.  A few tickets help those impatient moms keep their cool. 
      April 18, 2019 7:12 PM MDT

Thank you once again for a brutally honest post.  That does sound frustrating.   But people (sometimes including ourselves) often operate by doing what suits them rather than what suits others around them.  Which they access all sorts of things to justify to themselves.  No doubt you have places you want to get to as well which makes it even more frustrating.  I think best to just go with the flow, enjoying what there is to enjoy at the time.  Play the radio, listen to a CD, or a book read on CD, enjoy the scenery, watch the kids.  And just relax with it.  We often think we need to "vent" but not sure that is helpful, for it only encourages us in doing more of the same.  Expecting that people will live up to our expectations of them is unrealistic and we only end up feeling superior to them and despising them.  Which I expect is where "road rage" comes from. 

I drive to work and back home five, sometimes more, days a week, and on my journey, which is only ten minutes, are two places I have noticed.  In one of them some drivers, to avoid waiting at an upcoming intersection, make a left   turn and get onto a street that has the right of way at the intersection. In the other drivers get into the left lane at a stop light and then rush through the intersection to pig over into the right lane because the continuation of the left lane in fact is a left turn only.  These things always occur day in and day out and nothing can be done about them nor will anything ever so we must just accept them.  And think cheerful and pleasant thoughts!
      April 18, 2019 7:22 PM MDT