Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I made a statement yesterday to an Ansermug pal that is apparently untrue. Then I checked it out and now I am CONFUSED. About?

I made a statement yesterday to an Ansermug pal that is apparently untrue. Then I checked it out and now I am CONFUSED. About?

I said that Atheists think they're smarter than those who believe in a supreme being 'but that isn't true'. I said it because that is what I have experienced and that's what I go by. Then I Googled it and the below are some of the articles I found.

"Why Liberals and Atheists are more intelligent

Atheists are more intelligent than religious people

The real reason  Atheists have higher I Q's

Why are Atheists generally smarter than teligious people

Are Atheists smarter than believers? Not exactly

Atheists are sometimes more religious than Christians

The myth of the smarter Atheist

Are you an  Atheist? Does Atheism make sense?

10 Facts about Atheists" (one of which is that they are more likely be to male and younger)

Did you know there have been REASON RALLIES in Washington, D.C. and thousands of people show up to them? I didn't

No disrespect to anyone. I'm just curious about what your experience has been because I honestly had never researched it. I  never questioned it. I THOUGHT smart came in all sizes ages shapes political and religious or non-religious beliefs equally. If true it won't change me at all except that hopefully I'll be a little smarter  about not being very smart if that makes any sense. What do you think and why? Politeness and respect discussing this issue would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted - April 22, 2019

Responses

All generalizations are untrue. Some are smug know-it-alls, others aren't, same as everybody.
      April 22, 2019 2:06 AM MDT

I know geniuses who are Atheists and I know geniuses who believe so my personal experience indicated that smart is not dependent on religious beliefs or lack thereof.  But my gosh the articles I listed above were just the barest tippy top of that iceberg R and I am stunned. Now I never bothered to research it. I research things that don't make sense to me. I never questioned the connection of smart vis a vis religion. I have looked for other connections to intelligence. Like do smart people hate and fear less than those who aren't? Are smart people kinder to others than those who aren't? Stuff like that. But religion? Never occurred to me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee. I dislike being condescended to for any reason. I admit I'm not a genius. If I were I wouldn't need to ask all the questions  I do. But to have my lack of genius be attached to or connected to my religious beliefs? Seriously? Sheesh. AARRGGHH! OY VEY! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 22, 2019 2:30 AM MDT
      April 22, 2019 2:29 AM MDT

They want logic like juries want smoking guns.  They cannot think outside the language of science.  Anything metaphysical is "pseudo".  If they are so brilliant, one would think they would explore something like metaphysics before dismissing it out of hand.  Because if they understood anything ABOUT metaphysics, then they could not dispute it.  But of course, they will never see this obvious flaw in their intellectual pursuit.  
      April 22, 2019 2:32 AM MDT

:):):)
      April 22, 2019 2:51 AM MDT

Hogwash.  This is a spin.  This is a spin by athiests.  LOL.  Kind of biased.  

That is like me saying YOU don't know GOD.  I know.  Because I KNOW GOD.  It is just as absurd.  What do you care what I believe if I have no objective proof besides I said so.
    Atheists expect us God People to take them on a belief.  They, as a group, say they are smarter.  According to THEM.  AS A COHESIVE GROUP.  I mean where is the unbiased proof?

I mean who is judging the validity of their articles? Athiests?  No God person would agree with any of that nonsense,  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 25, 2019 10:07 PM MDT
      April 22, 2019 2:29 AM MDT

It just occurred to me that justifying our beliefs seems silly but so much time and effort is put to doing it. Why is that I wonder? Do we try to convince others that our beliefs are valid and should be respected? I honestly don't care what people think of me being a believer. That has nothing to do with anything I expect to get from them. Just as it true of my age or gender or food preferences. I don't need to approval to enjoy being me. Why do others? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Sharon. How do you judge validity anyway? I mean the prodons believe their view is valid and the condons like us think it's hogwash. And? Whatever follows doesn't matter in any way. Talk is cheap. It doesn't change the nature of anything! :)
      April 22, 2019 2:55 AM MDT

You wanna talk spin? 
    Spin is grouping unbelief/atheism in the same category as murder (and homosexuality). All of the current monotheisms do this. This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 22, 2019 6:06 AM MDT
      April 22, 2019 5:19 AM MDT

It is usually an exercise in the absurd to assert blanket generalizations. On any subject. There are plenty of smart people on all sides, but no person is immune to being misled. 

The difference is merely this: Atheists do not hold beliefs in supernatural deities. Period.
    Each has their reasoning for this position. There is no dogma, no rituals, no overarching beliefs, no tests to take. Most atheists I know base their positions on the examination of EVIDENCE, and thus far, the prevailing religious faiths have presented no verifiable evidence that proves their claims of any god beyond reasonable doubt. Yet the thoughtful nonbeliever stands ready to consider whatever evidence that may arise.

Can we say the same about most believers? This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 22, 2019 6:17 AM MDT
      April 22, 2019 5:17 AM MDT

Many religious people believe there are some truths which cannot be apprehended by evidence or through so-called natural religion. Thus the need for a revealed Word such as The Bible. 
      April 22, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

Yeah, I get that. But if we look into where revealed word comes from, it becomes less truth than presumption. Even the very first verse of Genesis starts with the unsupported presumption of (what turns out to be a capricious, vain and vindictive) God, an extraordinary claim which, like every other deity, has still not been proven.
    The Bible is the claim, it provides no evidence, no references. 
    But that is the nature of belief - willing acceptance without evidence, “the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1). 
    This is the base difference between our two positions.  

As an atheist myself, I find it more significant and relevant to build my understanding of the world and it’s incumbent reality upon sources that I know and can show are based in that reality, from the direct study of our world; not merely upon hope, or magic, or slavish faith in the unseen. This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 22, 2019 7:08 PM MDT
      April 22, 2019 2:13 PM MDT

No offense taken.  Because we know how much learning means to you.  And if you prefer the company of atheists because you find them smarter then why not go with that?  

Of course IQ is not the only way to measure intelligence.  And certainly there are religious bigots as well as irreligious ones.  If someone is not called to believe in God then no way will they be able to.  But many of us no we are not smart and though we have been able to acquire enough intelligence to get on in the world we know we will never be brilliant whatever.  So are we to beat out breasts and tear out our hair because of that?  No reason to because we are just as capable of enjoying happy and productive lives as those who possess much more intelligence and book learning.  Even knowing we are not smart we do know that God loves us anyway.  And experience has taught us that because God does other people will as well. 
      April 22, 2019 6:14 AM MDT

• I asked my father if he had a view on this point. His answer: God people and atheists are both believers in God: the one in His presence, the other in His absence. 
      April 25, 2019 10:01 PM MDT