Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it inevitable that wealthy societies become so top heavy that they topple?

Is it inevitable that wealthy societies become so top heavy that they topple?

By top heavy I mean so much wealth is at the upper end of the scale that the lower classes become disgruntled at having to do without and rebel, often violently.  Can you think of any place where that is happening?

Posted - April 29, 2019

Responses

• I think it is more when the methods and resources that made that growth possible become archaic and depleted.  That's pretty much what happens throughout history.  A system evolves around a new set of resources and methods to exploit for prosperity and eventual depleation causes the system to no longer be viable for mass prosperity.
      April 29, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

Hmmm...  I didn't think of that.

Image result for thoughtful nod gif
      April 30, 2019 12:00 AM MDT

I don’t think that path is inevitable.
    Societies rise and fall on the basis of ideology and persist on the effective development of that ideology.

Societies of the past disappeared from a varied list of forces like wars, disease, famine, colonialism, and the rise of new ideals. This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 30, 2019 7:13 AM MDT
      April 30, 2019 7:05 AM MDT

I remember that a number of years ago, William F Buckley, Jr suggested that if you were designing a society, the inclusion of millionaires would be a necessity.
      April 30, 2019 7:09 AM MDT

I’d have to agree, Tom.

Somebody owns the property, someone finances the business, philanthropy has to come from somewhere; lest it all be in the hands of govt. (Communism?)

Otherwise, absent the potential for success, what do we aspire to? 
      April 30, 2019 7:21 AM MDT

Precisely his argument....
      April 30, 2019 7:24 AM MDT

I wonder if Mr Buckley attended the same business course I did. Lol This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 30, 2019 7:51 AM MDT
      April 30, 2019 7:41 AM MDT

Great minds do think alike....
      April 30, 2019 7:52 AM MDT

Even historically ... I can't think of any society where that happened.
    The times it appears to ... French Revolution, Russian Revolution, etc ... it was not due to wealth - but the perceived level of corruption.
      April 30, 2019 8:20 AM MDT

• The imbalance of wealth is part and parcel  of the corruption.   The corruption and concentration of wealth are the samething.
      April 30, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

Sorry, but no.
    There are plenty of people who are corrupt, without wealth.
      April 30, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

• OH PLEASE! Save the logical fallacies.

The corruption was due to and to continue a  concentration of wealth to a certain sector and case in both cases.  Just because there were corrupt people who weren't wealthy doesn't have any meaning.  To say those revolutions weren't about wealth imbalance is just being silly.
    They were mad at the corruption that caused and maintained that imbalance and put wealth I. The hands of a few in the aristocracy.  FACTS!

You say no historical examples of this happening ever.  Uh well, Ummmmm.  Except a every great civilization that has fallen going back to BC times.  
      April 30, 2019 2:11 PM MDT

Q:  Except {for} every great civilization that has fallen going back to BC times {was due to wealth inequity}.  

There is little evidence of that assertion.
    Egypt.  Babylon.  Persia.  Rome.  Greece.  Maya.  Inca.  Aztec.  Mississippi Valley Peoples.  Ottoman.  Olmecs.  Macedonia.  Mongols.  Harappa.  Sumeria.
      April 30, 2019 2:26 PM MDT

• There is great evidence of that for Egypt,  The Greeks,  The Romans,  The French Revolution,  The Russian revolution,  Several Chinese dynasties,  Nearly all of them fall sue to economic disparity caused by corruption, after the main resources  became depleted.

This exact story has been played out repeatedly over and over again throughout history..   There is a mountain of historical examples.
      April 30, 2019 4:44 PM MDT

• You blame corruption.  Well corruption is economic at its core.   People don't give a crap about corruption if they are well fed and gaining wealth and stature.   They are two sides to the same coin.  Corruption is about wealth,  to isolate it and keep it flowing to one place.
      April 30, 2019 4:46 PM MDT

its possible
      April 30, 2019 2:48 PM MDT