Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » History » Was Casey Jones really high on cocaine that fateful night he was driving the train involved in the crash where he was the only casualty?

Was Casey Jones really high on cocaine that fateful night he was driving the train involved in the crash where he was the only casualty?

This is what the Grateful Dead say in their famous tribute song to the late Casey Jones, but it is hard to know if they just added this line so that their song would rhyme, or if it is an actual historical fact.

Posted - May 7, 2019

Responses

No ... he was just trying to arrive on schedule, with a train that was already 1.5 hours late when he took over.

https://www.biography.com/personality/casey-jones
      May 8, 2019 9:09 AM MDT

According to the writings of Jerry Garcia he WAS.  He was also making a joke.  Cocaine is speedy.  Casey Jones was speeding to reach his goal and Jerry just used that part of the story.  That's all.  

Casey Jones you'd better watch your speed.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 13, 2019 12:36 PM MDT
      May 8, 2019 9:10 AM MDT

dont know, i wasnt there
      May 12, 2019 4:30 PM MDT

Am pleading ignorance, I do not want to be called as a Witness.  My buddy Gerry is dead and he really is the only one who can answer that question.  Now I am just thinking about Truckin on to.............
      May 13, 2019 12:33 PM MDT

He's not the only one.  It was a Joke.  
      May 13, 2019 12:35 PM MDT

I know, did you not get the Grateful Dead references.  Now using that where are my wifes and Ex'es , Santa Fe or Chino.......
      May 13, 2019 7:38 PM MDT