Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you keep a band-aid or some kind of tape over the camera on your laptop? I do, soon I’ll be wearing a colander on my head.

Do you keep a band-aid or some kind of tape over the camera on your laptop? I do, soon I’ll be wearing a colander on my head.

Posted - May 11, 2019

Responses

•   May 11, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

• I just tried to buy those on amazon  but they won’t ship to Canada. That company is so  RUDE. 
      May 11, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

• What's that aboot? That is rude! You'd think they would ship anywhere since they now own half the world. 
      May 11, 2019 8:58 PM MDT

• No, I have Amazon Prime and I buy stuff from them all the time. It’s something to do with the company that makes the product. So I’ve  just been looking at all these cover up things can buy for covering up cameras of iPhones, and all the ones I’ve looked at so far won’t ship here. This is nutz. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 12, 2019 8:18 AM MDT
      May 11, 2019 9:06 PM MDT

• That is nuts :(
      May 11, 2019 9:12 PM MDT

You can cut a little circle out of electrical tape and stick it on your device.  The tape comes in a bunch of colors.  Cheap and just a quick trip to Home Depot .

May 12, 2019 1:50 AM MDT

• That’s probably a good idea. 
      May 12, 2019 8:19 AM MDT

MamaWin Black Metal Webcam Cover 0.03in Ultra Thin (3 Pack), i... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0769D5RLV/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_t1_ZYb2CbZV4XHNF

T
    his one says will ship to Canada for you.
      May 12, 2019 7:24 AM MDT

• Thank you, I just clicked on that one too. The problem is there seems to be a charge for importing these items,  that is more expensive than the actual product. I’ve never come across this with any other item I've looked for on amazon. I never usually have to pay any shipping because I’m a prime member. Very odd that i can’t find any of these that don’t come with an import charge. I may have to go to Best Buy :)
      May 12, 2019 8:22 AM MDT

Lol. Canada gov does not want you cover your lens so charging import fees. Spies, I tell you. 
      May 12, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

• My thoughts exactly O_o 
    lol:)
      May 12, 2019 10:19 AM MDT

Your privacy is not assured unless you also wear clothes made from aluminum foil.  They can bombard you with x-rays without you knowing it and, thereby, somehow read your mind.  Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody's out to get you.
      May 11, 2019 10:29 PM MDT

• Oh dear :)
      May 12, 2019 8:22 AM MDT

I do.  I don't have any tinfoil or plastic garbage bag outfits yet though.  
      May 11, 2019 10:32 PM MDT

• Soon we’ll all be dressed head to toe in tinfoil :)
      May 12, 2019 8:23 AM MDT

I used to, but now I use my cameras too much. I know Lenina mentioned reusable tape, but they have caps too. The kind that go on and stay on, but have a little door or lid you can open as needed. 

I have the tendency to put my phone face-down while it's out as well. 

For what it's worth, I blame Fox Mulder. He got me started on the camera thing years ago.
      May 11, 2019 11:52 PM MDT

• Mulder is from Xfiles? Gawd has this been a problem that long? :)I like the idea of a sliding cap for my phone because I do use my camera often on it. 
      May 12, 2019 8:24 AM MDT

Yes.  I have since the first laptop I bought that had a camera and mic.  They are covered with black electrical tape.  Same for my phone camera.  The button gets push all the time.  I got tired of trying not to hit it so now the screen just goes black when it is taking pictures.  I don't care.  I don't take phone photos.  I also disconnect both the power and internet from my TVs when they are not in use, which is pretty much always.  No WIFI in my house; it's turned off at the router;  all wired connections.

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 12, 2019 8:24 AM MDT
      May 12, 2019 1:43 AM MDT

• Oh wow, I don’t think I could function without my wifi. I’ll just stick to the camera coverups for now:)
      May 12, 2019 8:25 AM MDT

I don't have a laptop but I would tape it. 

My phone is in a wallet case and is always folded back covers camera and when not in use I lay it on face so covers front camera. 
      May 12, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

• A different kind of case may be a good idea. I can’t believe I’ve been do worried about my laptop camera and never considered my phone camera until last night lol. 
      May 12, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

Your phone probably also has GPS, so your every move is being tracked. It's not only sending images of the inside of your handbag.
      May 12, 2019 10:19 AM MDT

• Stop trying to frighten me more, Jayne. 
      May 12, 2019 1:27 PM MDT

OK I won't mention the fact that it is also recording all your conversations and possibly reading your thoughts.

The other day I was showing someone how I could create a reminder on my smart watch by using my voice. He tested it by saying something like 'remember to be nice to John'. The watch typed out his words and then went on to type 'F*** no'. This actually happened. I'm pretty sure I didn't say it out loud, so...
      May 12, 2019 6:04 PM MDT

• Lol, I’m not sure if you’re serious but if so, that’s messed up.
      May 12, 2019 6:44 PM MDT