Discussion » Questions » Communication » How will the next five years affect your life? Do you know? Do you care? Do you think you can affect changes?

How will the next five years affect your life? Do you know? Do you care? Do you think you can affect changes?

Elizabeth Warren rejects Fox News town hall invite, slams network's 'hate-for-profit' model

By MJ Lee, CNN

Updated 1524 GMT (2324 HKT) May 14, 2019

2020 Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren speaks to local residents during an organizing event, Friday, May 3, 2019, in Ames, Iowa.(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

2020 Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren speaks to local residents during an organizing event, Friday, May 3, 2019, in Ames, Iowa.(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

(CNN)Sen. Elizabeth Warren announced Tuesday morning that she is rejecting an invitation from Fox News to participate in a town hall with the network, slamming the outlet as a "hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists."

In a series of tweets, the Massachusetts Democrat said that what she sees as Fox News' "hate-for-profit" model means that the network "balances a mix of bigotry, racism, and outright lies with enough legit journalism to make the claim to advertisers that it's a reputable news outlet. It's all about dragging in ad money -- big ad money."
Fox News has already hosted Democratic Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota at town hall events this year. The network has also announced upcoming events with other White House hopefuls, including South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.
Warren went on to say that a town hall featuring Democratic presidential candidates "gives the Fox News sales team a way to tell potential sponsors it's safe to buy ads on Fox -- no harm to their brand or reputation (spoiler: it's not)."
"I won't ask millions of Democratic primary voters to tune into an outlet that profits from racism and hate in order to see our candidates -- especially when Fox will make even more money adding our valuable audience to their ratings numbers," Warren added. She did specify that journalists from the network are welcome to continue covering any of her campaign events.
A spokesperson for Fox News did not immediately return a request for comment.
Asked whether this means Warren will boycott all Fox News appearances heading into the 2020 election, an aide to the senator told CNN that she currently has no plans to go on Fox's air.
"And we're not giving them 60 minutes of her time for an exclusive major TV event so they can market it to their advertisers," the aide said.
According to the aide, Warren last appeared on Fox News in the spring of last year. The senator's last few appearances on the network were alongside Senate colleagues to promote legislation, the aide said.

Posted - May 14, 2019

Responses

• I just found out this morning my life is going to be changing a bit starting next week for the next 3 months. I won’t have time to come on  here and waste time during the day, meh. It will be good though, I guess........I DONT LIKE CHANGE lol. 

May 14, 2019 11:33 AM MDT

I hope you're OK.
    :)
      May 14, 2019 11:46 AM MDT

• Oh thanks :) it’s good news, I’ve been offered an opportunity I can’t pass up on. I’m just going to be a lot more busy for the next 3 months,  so less play time lol :)    

May 14, 2019 11:53 AM MDT

That's good. I wish you the best.
      May 14, 2019 11:57 AM MDT

• Thank you :) at least I have a week to wrap my brain around the upcoming changes :)
      May 14, 2019 12:43 PM MDT

You will be missed whenever you are not around here.  But, change is always a challenge, and it is not always delightful, but it does always make us grow and … well, change, I guess.  So, we are here, of course, and we miss you when you are not.  

Great luck in this new endeavor and hope you make more cachiiiing.  $$$$$
      May 14, 2019 11:51 AM MDT

• Oh I’ll still be around, just not during the week...I’ll make up for it when I’m here cos I like to ramble ;)
      May 14, 2019 11:54 AM MDT

Oh I didn't think you were going away for good.  That would be a tragedy.  LOL  A HUGE TRAGEDY.  
      May 14, 2019 11:56 AM MDT

• :)
      May 14, 2019 12:43 PM MDT

Our little girl is growing up.  (tell me to stick it) 
      May 14, 2019 12:46 PM MDT

• I wouldn’t say growing up lol. More like completely stepping out of my comfort zone. I hadn’t realized how long it’s been since I’ve done that,  until faced with the fact I’m about to do it :) my brain is racing lol 

May 14, 2019 12:59 PM MDT

More like completely stepping out of my comfort zone.  Jaimie, this is the best way to define growing up.  I mean the "doing it" part.  That is being mature to a lot of us.  There are those who shy away from any change.  Those people are stuck.  They are old and stuck.  You are young and "mature".  
      May 14, 2019 1:17 PM MDT

• Thank you :) with out going into detail, I’ve been offered 2 other opportunities like this one and have turned them both down in the past,  because I am comfortable in the way my life has been the past few years. I was really starting to regret passing up those chances offered, so I’m taking this one. I’m scared as faaak lol. But I’m more scared of looking back a year from now and regret just standing still... again. I’m going for it this time ;) 

May 14, 2019 4:17 PM MDT

I just dont like the fact of getting old. Today , i still wish that i was still 21 years old.. But in 5 years ill be 30 already. that's scary.
      May 14, 2019 11:35 AM MDT

Regardless of my age, just focusing on living a day at a time helps me try to stay centered and not get scared of things out of my control. And aging is pretty much out of our control.

(That's a good picture of you, too, if that's you in your avatar.)
      May 14, 2019 11:50 AM MDT

He's a very sweet natured soul, Welb. Just like you.  
      May 14, 2019 11:55 AM MDT

Thanks, Sharon.

Yes, franc533 seems like a really nice guy.
      May 14, 2019 12:33 PM MDT

Oh I remember that feeling well.  LOL  I remember being 28 and sitting up in bed and worrying because I just realized that in only 12 years, I would be 40.  Now I am 68, almost 70.  I did not have to worry at all.  Enjoy your life each day.  That keeps you young.  Not flying to Russia, or quitting a job.  Just stop and enjoy NOW.  Whatever it is you are doing, and go from there.  Worry gets you old, being ungrateful gets you old and not caring gets you old.  I think you are going to be very young for as long as you wish.  You have a young heart and spirit.

• I hope that she's rejecting CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, etc for the same reason. If not, she's shown herself to be an interesting example of narrow mindedness  and hypocrisy. 

Oh we are NOT going to get along. I can see this already.  Without Elizabeth Warren, the HYPOCRACY that is in the Oval Office would have been largely overlooked.  

Learn about the person before you denigrate them.  I know all about Elizabeth Warren and what she stands for and you know what Trump and his minions are apeing.  You disappoint me.  What is she a hypocrite about?  Being American Indian?  Well that is a great reason to not listen to a Harvard Law Professor.  A respected Senator, and a person who is non-partisan enough to call out her own party if need be.

If you want to talk hypocrite, see her takedown of that moron who runs HUD.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 14, 2019 12:04 PM MDT
      May 14, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

I think Sopwith was referring to the fact that "CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, etc " are just as biased as FOX ... they just aren't normally as shrill about it.
      May 14, 2019 12:17 PM MDT

Oh I know that.  I fail to see how those channels compare to FOX NEWS, that is unless you are ready to compare Einstein to Mickey Mouse.  I guess I am a hypocrite as well then according to you two.  
      May 14, 2019 12:23 PM MDT

That's OK, Elizabeth Warren has about the same negligible chance of being elected president as Corey Booker, Pete Buttigieg, and Beto O'Rourke, so her opinions and speculation on whom she would appoint to which cabinet post really don't matter.
      May 14, 2019 12:35 PM MDT

I am not even looking that far. I am just worried that there are SO many candidates.  Ten is way too many.  This is just outlandish.  They wind up cancelling out each other and we are left with …. WHAT? 
      May 14, 2019 1:30 PM MDT