Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » For USA members, is it really easy to buy a gun in the USA ?

For USA members, is it really easy to buy a gun in the USA ?

Here in canada, its not the same...  People can hardly own pistols. THe easiest gun a citizen can own are a hunting shotgun/rifle. But its gotta be for hunting purposes only.

Posted - May 23, 2019

Responses

If you can pass a background check ... (criminal record, and if you've been adjudicated mentally incompetent) ... YES.

If you can pass a Federal background check, and pay a $200 "transfer tax", you can even purchase fully-automatic machine guns and suppressors (aka "silencers").

And if you go buy metal working machines, or have a "blacksmith" shop ... you can build your own.

Prior to 1968, you could purchase through the Sears catalog.
    Soldiers brought home weapons ranging from handguns to anti-tank guns.
      May 23, 2019 1:43 PM MDT

You can not purchase a full automatic weapon for less than $20,000 if you can pass the extensive background check etc. 
    I trying to modify a semiautomatic is an extremely dangerous undertaking. 

May 23, 2019 2:34 PM MDT

I haven't checked prices in years ... but I know there's the $200 tax.
    If they're that much, it's probably much less expensive to just buy on the black market.
      May 23, 2019 2:44 PM MDT

Why would I want to. I've never tried.
      May 23, 2019 3:23 PM MDT

• Yes...I can just walk into a Gun shoppe and purchase a firearm. New Hampshire is ridiculously lenient

You don’t need a concealed permit either so as long as you are not a felon, you can walk out of a Mental Health clinic right into a Gun shoppe, by a nice handgun, slip it into your pocket and your on your way.

Easy Peasy

May 23, 2019 3:37 PM MDT

Depends on if you were put in that Mental Health clinic by the court or not.
    If you were, you aren't eligible to purchase a firearm.
      May 24, 2019 7:06 AM MDT

I own no guns
    but, hey, you can buy them
    from Gang suppliers
    on the St so to speak.
    Last time I touched a Gun was
    when I was in the Navy...100 years ago...haha
      May 23, 2019 4:45 PM MDT

Don't know - never had any interest in owning one.  My husband either. 
      May 23, 2019 7:30 PM MDT