Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Speculate: what do dogs probably think about leashes and collars? ~

Speculate: what do dogs probably think about leashes and collars? ~

Posted - May 25, 2019

Responses

They probably think
    Hey this thing is 
    restricting me,
    it makes feel like 
    I'm in prison.
    But then the other guy says
    oh they love me so much
    look what they've given me.
    and the other girl says...hey it's too tight
    and i hate this color on me.
      May 25, 2019 6:23 PM MDT

I’ve been dog sitting lately and the leash is cause for hysterical glee.  It means he’s getting out of here.  He accepts without question that he has to wear it when we’re in the neighborhood. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at May 25, 2019 10:35 PM MDT
      May 25, 2019 10:22 PM MDT

It appears then that the dog associates the leash with being taken outside, right?  
    ~

May 25, 2019 10:36 PM MDT

Sure.  It all depends upon who is leading the leash. If the dog has a decent master who understands how to handle a leash, then the dog is calm and happy and ready to obey whatever.  If the person holding the leash has no idea how to handle a dog, he and the dog will probably have a little trouble at the very least.  The dog wants to know that he has a master.  If he doesn't have that support, he starts to get anxiety and will not obey.  He will act out.  He will pull at the leash.  He will fight you tooth and nail.  

Watch the Dog Whisperer.  It's good.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 25, 2019 10:34 PM MDT
      May 25, 2019 10:26 PM MDT

To my dog they mean pride and joy.  I only have to say the word "leash" or "harness" and he goes ape.  And once its on he won't shut up.  
    As for his collar, if I take it off his eyes get big, his tail droops and he acts lost.  It's  as if he's without that collar (and tags) he's no longer "mine"... and that breaks his little heart.
      May 25, 2019 10:58 PM MDT

One of my dogs LOVES the leash, as she knows it indicates an adventure of some sort. The other detests it. I think she's a bit agoraphobic, poor girl. 
      May 26, 2019 12:20 AM MDT