Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I have no data to support this but I think the liars/schemers/con artists/scammers are far more "successful" than the truthtellers. Agree?

I have no data to support this but I think the liars/schemers/con artists/scammers are far more "successful" than the truthtellers. Agree?

I think it sucks bigly personally. That the scumbums scam their way to wealth and power and become obscenely wealthy by use of corruption and criminal activity. But they do. Worldwide. Oligarchs whose wealth is beyond belief steal from the people and get fatter and richer and more powerful. And they get away with it!

Our world today. Welcome y'all. SIGH.

Posted - May 31, 2019

Responses

Two comments:  1)  What does it profit a man to gain the whole world yet forfeit his soul?  (...or words to that effect), and 2) Let's not forget the rather significant payoff that one can get from "doing the right thing."

Barr says "everybody dies"---yes they do, but Barr thinks that will be the end of all issues.  He's going to wish that were actually true, but unfortunately....
      May 31, 2019 10:45 PM MDT

I agree with thee vis a vis the payoff one gets from doing what one KNOWS  is the right thing to do tom. I do. What I wonder about though is this. Why do so many admire/support/adore/defend those who do the wrong thing, the selfish thing, the greedy thing, the cruel thing the evil thing the hateful thing? Didn't used to be that way did it? At least the racist KKK had the "decency" or rather cowardice to hide under white sheets for anonymity. Now they take pride in their racist hatred and march naked full face frontal with signs chanting "Jews will not replace us" and they have an American prez who validates them and defends them and encourages them and sides with them. No embarrassment at all in doing so. Defiant. Hostile. Threatening. Demanding. That's what folks buy these days gladly. Why? What happened, when and will we ever go back to where we were when truthtellers were honored and liars were an abomination? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday!  :)
      June 1, 2019 2:07 AM MDT

Humans tend to admire (envy?) the one who holds the most power or influence in a particular situation or setting, especially when it comes to achieving basic human necessities that we need (food and shelter for example).

Trump, for example, has few of the restraints called values that many of us have; and they do tend to inhibit our actions and methods in ways that he is obviously unaffected by.

No particular basis for why, just my observation.
      June 1, 2019 4:14 PM MDT

I am not them tom. I have NEVER felt the emotions of jealousy or envy. I do admire people but I don't envy nor am I jealous.  I don't know why. Intellectually jealous/envy harm the person who experiences them and it makes no sense to me to indulge in feeling anything that would harm me. I feel love. I feel dislike...for one person I have gone beyond dislike. Not to hate but I do despise him greatly. Hate scares me. I can relate to despise. I know I don't have to name names or specify. I also am not a competitor. I think competing often brings out the ugly/worst in people. I have no interest in being "better than" anyone else at anything. I am interested in being better than I was before . My only competitor is me at different stages and ages of my life.  So I'm not typical. I guess that means I am defective. Isn't that what you call those who are not reflective of the "norm"? Inadequate? Lacking? Wanting? Whatever the proper word. What I do lust after is learning. I always have. I always will. That is an endless quest to understand what I don't. Easier said than done. Thank you for your reply. I find the sb prez to be the most abhorrent person of whom I am aware in this lifetime.  I find nothing redeemable about him. Zero. Zilch. Zed. Nada. Zip!    :(
      June 2, 2019 7:19 AM MDT

Figured you weren't them, Rosie.

I figure we're both at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
      June 2, 2019 1:55 PM MDT

I have heard of it tom but I am unfamiliar with it which is why I LOVE GOOGLE. I"m gonna Google it to familiarize myself with what you are alluding to. However the fact that you place BOTH thee and me at the top honors me. Really tom I am honored and I don't need to know  the specifics. I guess that's what we call "blind faith". Off to learn something new. " Hierarchy of Needs" here I come! Thank you for your reply! :)

I'm back tom after having read about the Hierarchy of Needs. I'm gonna ask a question about it and will give you anonymous attribution but first I want to comment on it to you.

That self-esteem part is a two-parter which you. What jumped out at me immediately is the lower version.... one who seeks fame and glory. The sb prez comes immediately to mind. The higher version seeks strength, self-mastery and self-respect. Which makes me think of Thomas Grey's "Elegy in a Country Churchyard". "Full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its fragrance on the desert air". It may not be verbatim but that's the gist of it and who knows how many "great" people lived and died of whom we have never heard? That saddens me .

I like the hierarchy a lot of course. What others think of me is out of my control so since I cannot control it I cannot worry about it. What I think of me is not out of my control and therefore it becomes very important to me.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. This post was edited by RosieG at June 3, 2019 2:18 PM MDT
      June 3, 2019 6:57 AM MDT

I learned it 40 years ago as "self-actualization."

I think the Army says it this way:  "Be all you can be."
      June 3, 2019 2:19 PM MDT

I am familiar with that tom! The Nike Ad sez  "JUST DO  IT". Don't know if that's comparable but it sure fires ME up when I see it! No excuses. No shillyshally. JUST DO IT! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thy! :)

Sometimes the more I think about the doing the less apt I am to do it. I'm gonna ask if others are like that too! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 4, 2019 7:29 AM MDT
      June 4, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

I don't know about that. Telling the truth is easy and satisfying.  Then we have told the truth and if telling the truth is what we are into that should be successful enough.  The truth is its own reward.  Just like religion and virtue, honor, ethics, etc.  But we still have to earn a living by out labor and the sweat of our brow. Telling the truth is seldom going to pay our bills or make us financially independent.  Some people must lie and scam and scheme and con to become what they deem successful. And even truth-tellers do those things sometimes.  Because we are all imperfect.  So not a good idea to point the finger at others lest we only convict ourselves. 

You do seem to have a problem with the wealthy and the powerful but let me assure you there are more liars and schemers and con artists and scammers among the poor.  Because they are more desperate.   Most wealthy people can afford not to do those things once they reach a certain level of wealth.  And charging for one's products or services is in no way "stealing" from anyone. Is simply business.  Unless you believe you somehow have a claim to money and possessions that others have worked for and paid for.  We all possess a moral compass and we all have to decide for ourselves how and to what extent we will exercise it.   If morality is important to us and we live by our morals then how can you say we are unsuccessful?  Plenty of people consciously lie and cheat and scheme and scam and con but never become successful in any way.
      June 1, 2019 8:29 PM MDT

Good answer. :)
      June 3, 2019 8:10 AM MDT