Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
bookerdana
Discussion » Questions » Family » Think about your parents' siblings. Imagine that your mother or father had married a different sibling, how might your life have differed?

Think about your parents' siblings. Imagine that your mother or father had married a different sibling, how might your life have differed?

My mother has only one sibling, my aunt.  If my aunt had been my mother, I doubt she would have brought me up with the same primary focus on education that my mother found important. My mother is studious and bookwormish, my aunt is more the glamour girl type.  Each of them, however, had extremely chaotic histories of their relationships with men, resulting in having numerous children by various sperm-donors, very few of whom stuck around to be fathers.  My mother was pregnant six times, my aunt seven or eight times.
  I know nothing of my biological father. 
~

Posted - May 31, 2019

Responses

Goodness Randy dear you must have a lot of time on your hands to indulge in such speculations!  Or course even the smallest things in our lives can change us and alter the courses of our lives.  Having different parents even more so.   And if we are going to indulge in such speculation then why not think of other people besides relatives who might have been our parents?   I don't know - some of my relatives were pretty down to earth and lived simpler lives and who knows but things may have been better for me without feeling the pressures and limitations I grew up with?  Such as they were.  One of my aunts committed suicide - would I have wanted to be her daughter?  My parents were not perfect but they did the best they could under their circumstances and they wanted what they thought was best for me. So I have accepted them and come to terms with my upbringing which is enough for me. 
      May 31, 2019 7:44 AM MDT

My Mom has 10 siblings, 6 sisters and 4 brothers. 
    Each is very different. From 2 nurses to alcoholics to stay at home moms. So really no telling.

My Dad has 2 brothers and 3 sisters. 
    One brother is an Army man. The other a factory worker. But not as stable a person. 

Interestingly, one of my Mom's sister did marry one of my Dad's brothers. The Army man married one of the nurses. Their kids turned out pretty good.
      May 31, 2019 7:52 AM MDT

My mother was an only child.
    My father had two sisters.
    So in your scenario, I would not exist.
      May 31, 2019 9:15 AM MDT

I am smiling.:)
    Entering your scenario is difficult.  I'm not sure if you would like me to be born when I was with my mom and have him as a father or if I were to be born when he got married and had his own children with his life me being one of them. 
    I hope you don't mind if I limit myself to going with my current birthday and how my life would have jived with my uncle's life for the last 52 years.
    My mom had one younger brother. He died of Lung Cancer. Don't let that get you down.  He wouldn't like that.  He brought smiles to every room he entered. 
    Being raised by the same militant parents, I can't imagine the rules being different.  The lifestyles and choices were 180 degrees opposite.
    Had I been raised by my uncle on the road is an illusion. He would never have allowed it. BUT if I had, he would have made sure I was engrossed with the history, the beauty, and the cultures throughout the world we live in.
    He was a sound engineer and lighting manager for groups starting at Dr. Hook and ending with Michael Jackson.
    He started at Berkley to become a doctor; however, he decided, with the help of Dr. Hook to go The Rock n' Roll route, instead.  Life on the road was exhilarating but it did take its toll.
    I would have the same soul just one more worldly.
    They are both very gifted in life.  Mom chose books, helping people medically, and raising two girls.
    My uncle sought to see the world, helping people through music and sharing his laughter.  He had a Great laugh and smile!. He liked people and in the end, actually learning and having time to play golf.

I would have turned out pretty much the same! :) :) 

This post was edited by Merlin at May 31, 2019 10:03 PM MDT
      May 31, 2019 12:12 PM MDT

If my uncle had been my father, I would be a different kind of crazy. This post was edited by Jane S at May 31, 2019 9:39 PM MDT
      May 31, 2019 4:43 PM MDT

My father and I were both adults when he said that he occasionally thought that he had married the wrong sister. I didn't say anything, but I doubt he could have done any worse---and the odds were he (and I) would definitely have done much better.
      May 31, 2019 10:36 PM MDT