Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Monetarily, what does the US federal government owe the people who live on its soil? ~

Monetarily, what does the US federal government owe the people who live on its soil? ~

Posted - June 1, 2019

Responses

Nothing.
      June 1, 2019 4:34 PM MDT

• How enlightening.
      June 1, 2019 11:20 PM MDT

• Every government has a duty to protect the safety, health, and property of its citizens.  That includes an obligation to cover all the related costs . This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 1, 2019 5:33 PM MDT
      June 1, 2019 4:47 PM MDT

Really?  No one should be responsible for paying his or her own home security, self-defense classes (safety); medical and dental bills (health); rent, mortgage, motel/hotel charges, furniture, household items, clothing, toiletries (property)?  The federal government should be expected to cover all of those expenses for every person in the country?

~
      June 1, 2019 5:29 PM MDT

You are quite wrong.  I am assuming you are not American.
      June 1, 2019 5:34 PM MDT

The government owes retirees SS retiree benefits and Medicare as that was the deal when employees began being assessed SS and Medicare taxes.  That is about it.  The government owes citizens quite a bit, such as national security/minted money/safe infrastructure/law enforcement,  but not measured in  dollars.  The Constitution instructs that the government legislate for the public health and welfare of American citizens...again, not in dollars.
      June 1, 2019 5:45 PM MDT

• Yes really.

Its been pretty much a settled question since the 4th, 5th, and 14th Amendments were ratified in US Constitution; along with a majority of States that provided even broader protections to citizens under their own constitutions.

Normally I loathe any kind of political "discussion" based on the garbage elected officials puke up to justify their corruption. 

But this is history. 
      June 1, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

Based on the premise you've stated, no person who lives in the US should pay any bills, the federal government should pay all expenses?  Please simply clarify if that is or is not what you mean, thank you. 

---
      June 1, 2019 7:01 PM MDT

• No Randy.

Just no.

Please don't try put your own strange ideas in my head. I have enough weird
    **** in there already.

What I'm saying is completely different, and pretty simple: We create government and elect representatives to work for everyone, and to protect legitimate public interest. That system costs money. We accept taxes to pay for it.

But we don't accept that anyone should have more or fewer rights based on what they can or can't pay. If we did no one unable to work because of an injury or disability would get medical care, and no senior on a fixed income would have decent housing. This post was edited by my2cents at June 1, 2019 7:35 PM MDT
      June 1, 2019 7:20 PM MDT

You are confused and it stems from you not understanding rights.  Just because you need something doesn't mean you have the right to have it handed to you. 

Now.  Are we clear?
      June 1, 2019 7:54 PM MDT

• We're anything but clear .

I don't "misunderstand" anything. But I suggest actually you read the Constitution instead of blowing hot air .
      June 1, 2019 11:18 PM MDT

I can almost recite it.  Con law was one of my faves as a student.
      June 2, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

• Nowhere in the Constitution does it say the government is obligated to pay a persons expenses or provide them healthcare, houseing, or food.
      June 2, 2019 2:24 PM MDT

Or even education...........that is the parents' responsibility, not the state.
      June 2, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

• Meh 
    Parents can't build a school. Nor teach everything and have a job.
      June 2, 2019 8:57 PM MDT

Meh.  This says so much.
      June 2, 2019 11:53 PM MDT

• You don't send your kids to grammar school?

Tell me Thrifty.  What does it say?  Got a mouthful spit it out.
      June 3, 2019 12:09 AM MDT

I don't have any figures but those of us who pay social security taxes all our lives are "owed" the results in our social security and Medicare when we become of age and sign up for that.   Now could be said that is ours from the beginning so not something we are "owed" but if we don't get it then we are being short-changed.   Which does not mean we can't creatively work with the government so that we earn some income. Beyond that I guess national security.  But really I more look at it as what I owe my government rather than what it "owes" me.  And I am happy to be left alone by the government.  Unless they find evidence I am committing heinous crimes. You know under Obama we were investigated for tax fraud  but were exonerated when they could find nothing wrong that we did.  This post was edited by officegirl at June 1, 2019 11:19 PM MDT
      June 1, 2019 7:42 PM MDT

$40 a day to be of good behavior because it costs a lot more if I go to jail.
      June 2, 2019 1:04 AM MDT

• Nothing really but I do think the federal government should charge corporations for use if public lands and infrasctrure and give it out to the citizenry .  Much like they did in Alaska with dividends from oil companies.
      June 2, 2019 2:27 PM MDT