Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Military » What are some of the combat-related drawbacks, limitations, or liabilities of the M14 Rifle? ~

What are some of the combat-related drawbacks, limitations, or liabilities of the M14 Rifle? ~

Posted - June 2, 2019

Responses

• It is on the heavy end of combat rifles.  Has no selective fire capabilities .   Its .308 chambering results in heavier and bulkier magazines and less ammo able to be carried.  The .308 is a tad overpowered for typical engagement distances in modern warfare.  It has a combed stock over protruding pistol grip that limits its ability to be used with an injured hand or arm.  It is also fairly long barreled and a long design which makes it unsuitable in urban and CQC situations.  It also isn't a very modular design  that allows for mission and task specific configurations as in most other modern Assault rifles. Combat rifles as a group are more of a  niche tool with limited applications in modern combat. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 2, 2019 2:17 PM MDT
      June 2, 2019 1:20 PM MDT

Thank you.

~
      June 2, 2019 2:11 PM MDT

• Ever shot an M-14 or M1 Garand?
      June 2, 2019 2:17 PM MDT

No, not yet. I have a buddy who owns an M1, he has extended an open invitation whenever I am ready to go. 

~
      June 2, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

• It's a great design and  both are very pleasant to shoot.  The M1's weight and action really turns the 30-06 into a pussycat.
      June 2, 2019 8:49 PM MDT

• It's a great design and  both are very pleasant to shoot.  The M1's weight and action really turns the 30-06 into a pussycat.
    I like both the M1 and its updated cousin ,the M-14, a lot. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 2, 2019 11:59 PM MDT
      June 2, 2019 8:49 PM MDT

Where do I start.  In general a very decent rifle.  It takes a gorilla to hold it on target in full auto - not recommended.  For range use the rear peep is OK and allows great groupings out to 800 meters and beyond. 

In combat the peep sight is a limitation.  Since the POS M16 arrived most personnel regardless of branch have never had to experience this.  We had a few hanging around and I discovered this the hard way. When you have time to pick your shot, no problem.  Close quarters and multiple rushing targets, can be a problem

Currently as scoped in the world of the M4 and its breathern it allows you to reach out and touch someone beyond 400 meters.  I would prefer it to a M24 in urban environments. In a small group team I would also prefer it in either Sandbox location.  In the Sandboxes it is easy to maintain.

I found it a pleasure to shoot, it is a pain to hump just saying
      June 17, 2019 1:23 PM MDT