Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Have you ever used a food bank? I go to one and distrubite what I don't need to other people who do need it.

Have you ever used a food bank? I go to one and distrubite what I don't need to other people who do need it.

Posted - June 3, 2019

Responses

Good for you! :)  No, I have not but there have been times when it would have been wise for me to have used one or two.
    Following your lead, I will try and incorporate your idea into my lifestyle. 
    Is that o.k. with you, I hope?
    I applaud your donations and think it is a great community contribution.
    :) :)
      June 3, 2019 1:14 PM MDT

Yes it is okay with me.  I don't know where you are, but where I am, they throw out a lot.  So, I don't feel guilty taking food I need.  
      June 3, 2019 1:20 PM MDT

Just like many things in life, it's a give and take.  Good Will, The Salvation Army are a few others that come to mind.
    I give to those and the animal shelter where I live.  I also shop at those places, too!
    Life is a balancing act sometimes and I think you're pretty good at it!
    :) :)
    Thanks again for a great way to give back to the community that I hadn't thought of.

June 3, 2019 1:42 PM MDT

I have never once in my life ever been hungry.  I give food away constantly and I love to cook. I love to feed people.  So much fun.  So, you are right, I give to the Universe and the Universe repays me in kind.  

Pay it forward, and screw Donald Trump and his rich ahole friends. 
      June 3, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

There's a corner in our local country town where tramps volunteer to mind a free drop-off depot.
    People donate almost anything, clothes, toys, soap, toothpaste, cans, jars and packets of food. The take-up from homeless people is 100%.
    On Tuesdays evenings and Sunday mornings 'You-Have-A-Friend' serves a hot meal and a hot big breakfast. I donate fruit, three pieces each for an average of thirty people - because none of the charities provides fruit.
    On other days, the Community Centre provides daily meals cooked in rotation by various Christian groups. They also provide showers.
    Another source of free food is at the Sikh temple on Fridays and the Hare Krishna Temple on Sundays.
    In general, the aim to provide cheap food usually means the meals served are high in carbohydrates like potatoes, white bread, pasta, pastries, and white rice - and rather low in fresh veggies and proteins. All of the clients look like they're suffering from malnutrition. This might not be entirely due to the diet, as more than half have bi-polar, schizophrenia, PTSD and serious drug problems like ice. Many have co-morbidity with intellectual disabilities. A few are just down on their luck, like women who've run away from violent partners and are living with their kids in their cars.

This post was edited by inky at June 3, 2019 6:37 PM MDT
      June 3, 2019 6:37 PM MDT