Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Do you have a family tradition that can be traced back 100 years or more? ~

Do you have a family tradition that can be traced back 100 years or more? ~

Posted - June 5, 2019

Responses

Not that I am aware of. 
      June 5, 2019 6:38 AM MDT

Yes.  Each and every member of my family has ALWAYS believed in breathing to keep one alive.  
      June 5, 2019 10:07 AM MDT

Yes.  From the moment we turn 50 we all put our glasses on pour heads and then promptly forget we put them there.  As the youngsters look on and laugh, they swear that when they turn 50 they're going to abandon this time honored tradition (but they never do).
      June 5, 2019 10:20 AM MDT

No.
    A few heirlooms have come down, but no traditions.
    Christmas, Lent, Easter etc would have been traditional for my grandparents' generation - but both my parents were atheists so the Christian traditions died out in our families.

My parents did their best to transmit good manners - but I've noticed that what passes for manners changes over the years.
    What was formerly normal and expected is now often considered outdated, almost weird or eccentric.
    People used to write or print invitations; now we phone, email or text.
    It used to be rude to ring people at unsociable hours, but now it's considered rude not to instantly pick up on the mobile or cell.
    Undisturbed private life and leisure are disappearing for many.
    Once, a hostess bought and cooked all the food for a dinner party. Now every guest brings a plate.

June 5, 2019 9:00 PM MDT