Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Ni hao, Do you have a business card? May I stare at for 5 minutes? That’s a fun thing to do, it’s my favourite.

Ni hao, Do you have a business card? May I stare at for 5 minutes? That’s a fun thing to do, it’s my favourite.

Posted - June 8, 2019

Responses

Yeah.  I hand them out at work to clients so they remember to ask for me.  

I don't care if they stare at it for one second, just ask for me.  
      June 8, 2019 8:56 AM MDT

• I’ve been working with a lot of chinese business men lately. In their culture you have to accept their business card with two hands and look at it for an acceptable length of time, before putting it away. I have a hard time remembering, so they probably all hate my guts. They probably all hate me anyway cos I’m female, whatever. 

June 8, 2019 9:33 AM MDT

I KNEW this was gonna be good.  LOL 

I deal with Asians all t he time.  AND I am prejudiced.  Sorry.  I love them, but they are very different in their approach to everything.  They have a different culture and I just don't make a good companion for some of the really anal types.

They are either sweet as pie and you would do anything for them, or they are so anal and bossy and commanding that I just want to throw them out of my room and not work on them.  Especially the women.  Speaking of.... they exhibit exactly the way they are treated.

In otherwords they seem to be so caught up in being bossed around that they cannot wait to boss someone else around.  

That is the bad side of Asians.  That and they are math wizards.  What is up with that anyway? 

June 8, 2019 9:39 AM MDT

• I agree about them being very different in their approach. I can’t tell if they are purposely being rude or it’s just their culture. I’ve always had good experiences with Asian people before this work project,  so I know it’s not all asians, just the lovely people I’m working with atm. 

Also they have no concept of personal space and their breathe smells like they chew on cat litter  everyday. THAT’S FINE. 

June 8, 2019 10:18 AM MDT

LOL some of my best friends are ASIANS and they laugh about Asians as much as you and I do.   I am so sorry you are having to put up with this, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  It's just a few months. But a few months feeling stressed feels like years.  I know.  
    I know you are learning a lot.  Just, maybe not the way you intended or what you expected to learn.  I'll tell you this much, it sounds very impressive what you are doing.  What is it that you are doing?  
      June 8, 2019 10:52 AM MDT

• I’m working  on an R&D project that also involves TOT and best business practice transfer for a company based China that will be expanding to Canada in the near future (hopefully). The move will create a lot of jobs in Canada, so I’ll keep biting my tongue and hang in here :) 

June 8, 2019 11:14 AM MDT

Well that explains it.  

???

Here is what I do.  I work at a spa and I give massages to people who need a massage.

Can you speak like that?  
      June 8, 2019 11:18 AM MDT

•  Lol okay I’ll try to talk like that...The project I’m on now, my role is to observe and record business practices/processes. I look for issues in, or possible future issues in the companies’ business practices.  I seek out resolutions for issues, or possible future issues in business practices, procedures and future development. 

I am also looking for the smoothest method for  Transfer of Technology between the parent company and the future subsidiary company. 

Soooo Basically I’m like a wedding planner,  but I never have to buy flower arrangements...just have to stare at business cards.....I’m a wedding planner then. 

June 8, 2019 9:05 PM MDT

no concept of personal space---I suppose that's because of the population density of Japan.
      June 8, 2019 11:35 AM MDT

I don't think Japan is that densely populated, but China and Hong Kong certainly are.  You have to see some of the old Chinese women waiting for the subway train.  They have two plastic bags of groceries in each hand and when the doors open, they fly into the car in front of everyone else to get a seat.  Very rude.
      June 8, 2019 1:53 PM MDT

I'm sure I've been influenced by various shows on TV over the years that suggest crowding.  The average height of a Japanese man is (5' 7.4") and for a woman is (5' 2.6") according to an internet search.

I agree their actions seem rude frequently, but I'm not sure where that comes from.
      June 8, 2019 4:42 PM MDT

I'm not either unless it comes from realizing in their original country that if they didn't push for something for themselves, they wouldn't get it.  You know, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
      June 8, 2019 5:49 PM MDT

• I’m not sure, Tom. I have no experience with Japanese cultural differences.  I was referring to Chinese culture. 
      June 8, 2019 9:02 PM MDT

Sorry, Jamie, I must have been sleep walking when I read and (tried) to answer this question.
      June 9, 2019 11:41 AM MDT

I might stare at them for 5 minutes, thinking, "This is really beautiful writing.  I wonder if they are telling me to Go to Hell if I don't use them in my company?"
    The good side.  They have helped us and many with math.  The bad side.  They are very curt and hurtful in many of their ways.  I am afraid of the men and many of the women who shoot darts with their eyes and yell as much as the men.  I have always felt sorry for the submissive women.  I quit a job once because I felt so badly for the way they treated one women.  I literally walked out in the middle of my shift. 

June 8, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

• I’ve wanted to quit and walk away so many times the past few weeks. I’m on this project until September and I’m going to see it through. The more they piss me off,  the more determined I am to not let them break me. 

You’re right though about seeing how they treat other woman. I can take a lot, but I do have two female translators I’m working with, and they are lovely. The way the men treat them is disgusting. It takes all my willpower not to lose my shizzat. But the business cards are facinating......no! :)

June 8, 2019 10:20 AM MDT

Maybe if they learned more tact?!....
    They could work even more wonders throughout the world if they would learn to compromise and have a heart and work as a team, not a machine.
    The writing is beautiful.  They have beautiful skin and hair.  Like all races, most of them are amazing.  The ones in the lead are the ones who needs to be relived of some of their tactics.  Back to tactics and tactfullness.
    :) :)
      June 8, 2019 10:52 AM MDT

• More tact?? How about some tact... ANY TACT!! Lol :)
      June 8, 2019 11:14 AM MDT

I just thought of something.  Why don't you make up outrageous business cards and hand them out and watch the reaction?  

June 8, 2019 10:55 AM MDT

Interesting. I did not know about that. Do you have your own business card?
     https://www.asianbusinesscards.com/business-card-exchange-etiquette-guide-culture-tips-for-china/

June 8, 2019 7:43 PM MDT

• I do, I had to get some made up before my arrival. I was also given lessons on Chinese business/culture etiquette, but I was probably playing on here, and worrying about getting a working VPN during those meetings, lol :)       

June 8, 2019 9:03 PM MDT

• Need more baijiu.
      June 10, 2019 6:27 AM MDT