Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Does a narcissistic streak run in your family?

Does a narcissistic streak run in your family?

Posted - June 11, 2019

Responses

• No, nothing quite as exciting as narcissism but dysfunctional nonetheless. 
      June 11, 2019 10:44 PM MDT

No but mom streaked her hair purple recently and I have streaked through neighborhoods and various other places many times.  Do those count?
      June 12, 2019 12:34 AM MDT

• Only if you go streaking through answerMug and set off a few pacemakers.
      June 12, 2019 12:37 AM MDT

HUGE Giggles! 
    On that note, I'm signing off for the night.
    Thanks for keeping us all giggling.  Hopefully, I will see you all tomorrow. :) :)
      June 12, 2019 12:44 AM MDT

I think my mother was what is now called an inverse narcissist. She played the poor-me card and was very good at it - we believed her every word.
    I learned far too late just how much of it was manipulation.
    As a child, it seemed as though Dad ruled the roost because we tiptoed around his anger and did everything to avoid his violence. Actually, she did a hell of a lot to provoke him - she knew exactly which barbs would strike home. An outsider would think her comments innocuous.

As an adult, I realised it was Mum who had the inheritance and all the money. She decided where the land was bought, she dictated the features of the house that Dad designed and built, she decided the rules of the house, and where we kids were educated. Every major decision was hers.

There was, in fact, nothing poor or powerless about her. She had a tongue that could whine like a mosquito or land like a cat-o-nine-tails.
    Appearances were everything to her; she dressed to perfection. She never let outsiders see her alcoholism. She lied freely and was fairly amoral in most matters.
    But she was also shy and avoidant around people - anyone non-family. Perhaps only her mother, my father and my sister and I ever knew her well - and that only what she allowed to be seen. She kept endless secrets.
      June 12, 2019 12:48 AM MDT

That's interesting.  I never thought of narcissism as  a condition that can be learned and cultivated that way.  But, seriously, why not?  If someone grows up only seeing that type of behavior, they will more than likely pick up the same "habits". 

I think my brother is psycho and has wet brain from booze, but I don't think he is a narcissist.  

My dad certainly was not one and my mom was not.  I am not.  

So, I guess not. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 12, 2019 6:02 AM MDT
      June 12, 2019 1:04 AM MDT