Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Homo saps seem to be way way worse now than they ever were before. Does it have to do with WAY WAY WAY WORSE "leadership" or sumpin' else?

Homo saps seem to be way way worse now than they ever were before. Does it have to do with WAY WAY WAY WORSE "leadership" or sumpin' else?

Posted - June 12, 2019

Responses

Trump did not drain the swamp.  He exposed the swamp that is in all of us.

I see things about myself that not only make me HATE, it makes me really look at myself and what causes this immense resentment towards him and all the people who back him.   

It is not a good look for me.  I realize that.  So, in some sense, I can thank the creep for helping me unearth my negative qualities.  But that does not dismiss the fact that he is a spawn of SATAN.

Just because the devil is responsible for showing you your most toxic qualities does not make the devil a good character.  It makes the Devil the lowest rung on the ladder and Trump is the Devil's excrement. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 13, 2019 2:29 AM MDT
      June 12, 2019 11:39 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      June 13, 2019 2:29 AM MDT

June 12, 2019 11:51 AM MDT

This should be seen.  Thanks.  

'A simple pattern': how Trump claims victory when facts suggest otherwise

The president’s misleading agreement with Mexico showcases his reality-TV tactics – but the media keeps ‘taking the bait’

David Smith in Washington

Wed 12 Jun 2019 01.00 EDT Last modified on Wed 12 Jun 2019 08.32 EDT

<!--[if IE 9]><![endif]-->
    <!--[if IE 9]><![endif]-->Donald Trump greets supporters in Des Moines, Iowa, on Tuesday.
    Donald Trump greets supporters in Des Moines, Iowa, on Tuesday. Photograph: Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

Another drama, another cliffhanger, another disaster averted at the last minute. Donald Trump had saved the world. Again.

The strange saga of the US-Mexico trade war that never was serves up the latest example of Trump’s reality-television presidency. Time and again he has manufactured crises, set deadlines, made threats, pulled back from the brink and claimed victory while keeping the details notoriously vague.

The cycle of razzle-dazzle enables Trump to galvanise his support base, selling himself as a man of action, and keeps the media mesmerised while his government pushes reforms or slashes regulations on the quiet. When the smoke clears, however, not much of substance has really changed.

“It’s a pretty simple pattern,” the Democratic leader, Chuck Schumer, told the Senate on Monday. “The president stakes out a maximalist position but never clearly defines his objectives. That way, after he backs himself into a corner, he can use a deal of any kind, even if it’s merely a fig leaf, to justify retreating from whatever misguided policy he’s threatened. Then he declares victory, having done little to nothing to solve the underlying problem.”

Noting Trump’s penchant for big summits, photo ops, scare tactics and belligerent threats, Schumer added: “What he did here is typical of the president’s gameshow foreign policy: a big production without very much progress.”

Trump honed his mastery of the medium as host of The Apprentice and The Celebrity Apprentice from 2004 to 2015. He was obsessed with ratings and not shy about exaggerating them. In the Trump Tower boardroom he was both businessman and showman, a master of suspense as contestants dreaded the words “You’re fired!” at the show’s climax.

What he did here is typical of the president’s gameshow foreign policy: a big production without very much progress

Chuck Schumer

Randal Pinkett, the winner of The Apprentice in 2005, said on Tuesday: “The idea of being the centre of attention and sucking up all the oxygen in the room? When you’re host of The Apprentice, that might be your job, but not when you’re president of the United States. That’s about policy, not media whoredom.”

But now Trump occupies the Oval Office and the “contestant” in his latest public spectacle was Mexico. The president was reportedly incensed that, despite all his promises, border crossings in May reached their highest level in more than 12 years (in excess of 132,000 people). On 30 May he reached for import taxes – tariffs – which have become his weapon of choice.

Advertisement

“On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP,” he suddenly announced on Twitter. “The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied.”

Immediately, the clock was ticking towards the 10 June deadline. Senior officials from both countries met for talks with billions of dollars at stake – Mexico is America’s biggest trading partner. The US’s new trade agreement with Mexico and Canada was suddenly imperilled.

Trump had generated an entirely unnecessary crisis. Business leaders were on edge, Democrats were outraged and even Senate Republicans threatened to rebel, warning against a self-inflicted wound. The president travelled to Europe, dined with the Queen and attended D-Day commemorations, but he insisted he wasn’t bluffing: the crippling tariffs would go ahead.

Then, at 8.31pm last Friday, came a bolt out of the blue. “I am pleased to inform you that The United States of America has reached a signed agreement with Mexico,” Trump tweeted. “The Tariffs scheduled to be implemented by the U.S. on Monday, against Mexico, are hereby indefinitely suspended.”

The US announced that Mexico had agreed to deploy 6,000 national guard personnel throughout the country, giving priority to its southern border. In addition, people crossing the US southern border to seek asylum would be rapidly returned to Mexico to await the adjudication of their asylum claims; Mexico would offer them jobs, healthcare and education.

Trump hyped the apparent concessions as evidence that his tariff threats had worked and was hailed for strong leadership by friendly media outlets. But not for the first time, the New York Times burst his bubble, reporting that the much vaunted “deal” was merely warmed-up leftovers. It said the Mexican government had already pledged to deploy the national guard in March, and that the plan for asylum seekers had been worked out last December.

<!--[if IE 9]><![endif]-->
    <!--[if IE 9]><![endif]-->Randal Pinkett, left, won The Apprentice in 2005. Being president is ‘about policy, not media whoredom’, Pinkett said.
    Randal Pinkett, left, won The Apprentice in 2005. Being president is ‘about policy, not media whoredom’, Pinkett said. Photograph: Bennett Raglin/WireImage

Critics suggested that it was in fact Trump who had backed down, realising he could not win a fight against his own party and that his trade wars are already taking a toll on the economy. Friday’s disappointing job figures, for example, were a warning sign.

Advertisement

Sowing further confusion, the president went on to claim he had an immigration and security deal with Mexico, only for the Mexican foreign minister, Marcelo Ebrard, to deny that such a deal exists. On Tuesday, Trump taunted reporters at the White House by waving around a folded piece of paper that he claimed was a deal with Mexico. “Without the tariffs, we would have had nothing,” he said.

Analysts fear that the perceived success will encourage Trump to intensify his trade war with China. Even old allies are concerned. Anthony Scaramucci, who spent 11 days as White House communications director in 2017, said: “You can yo-yo the tariffs and create a lot of buzz and fanfare around what you’re doing and ‘control the news cycle’ but you can’t yo-yo the tariffs without it having a consequential effect on business. Just look at the data.”

But he added: “That does work for him because, remember, his attitude is: ‘I’m going to worry about the base, everything else will take care of itself.’ And if you think about it from that perspective, he’s probably right because as long as he gets voter participation numbers with his base close to where he was, he’s likely to win re-election.”

The reality-TV presidency has produced some classic episodes. Two years ago, Trump raised the prospect of the existence of tape recordings of his private conversations with the fired FBI director James Comey. With the Washington gossip machine working itself up to fever pitch, he finally tweeted: “I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings.”

Trump threatened the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-un, with “fire and fury”, only to meet him a year ago and insist there was no longer a nuclear threat – yet the country continues its weapon testing. In February, Trump declared a national emergency in a bid to get his wall built, then made an empty threat to shut down the border completely.

The president also relishes building drama and suspense around his appointments of senior officials and supreme court justices. None of it comes as much surprise to students of his business and entertainment careers.

One of his biographers, Gwenda Blair, said: “He’s experienced at getting people’s attention with something they’re not expecting or a reversal of the last thing they’ve heard, generating a headline with a tweet. He follows the saying: ‘You want a crowd, start a fight.’”

She added: “He’s quite the cliffhanger guy and also wants to make sure he holds on to those headlines and the minuscule attention span of a significant proportion of the population. He’s done it for decades, so why stop now?”

Bill Whalen, a research fellow at the Hoover Institution in Palo Alto, California, and former media consultant to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, said: “Part of Trump being Trump is the art of the deal and the cliffhanger. It has a complete reality-TV quality to it because each episode ends with the camera turned on him and the question, ‘Mr President, what should we do?’

“The whole point of reality TV is to get people watching and wanting to come back. Trump plays the media very well and the media continues to take the bait.”

Since you’re here…

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading and supporting our independent, investigative reporting than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford.

The Guardian is editorially independent, meaning we set our own agenda. Our journalism is free from commercial bias and not influenced by billionaire owners, politicians or shareholders. No one edits our editor. No one steers our opinion. This is important as it enables us to give a voice to those less heard, challenge the powerful and hold them to account. It’s what makes us different to so many others in the media, at a time when factual, honest reporting is critical.

Every contribution we receive from readers like you, big or small, goes directly into funding our journalism. This support enables us to keep working as we do – but we must maintain and build on it for every year to come. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 12, 2019 12:01 PM MDT
      June 12, 2019 11:56 AM MDT

Yup good stuff. I don't know how so many people can support a guy like that. This post was edited by Kittigate at June 12, 2019 12:25 PM MDT
      June 12, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

I have a real simple question for you m'dear. Why does his base adore him so? Why does it not "see" or "hear" what the rest of us do or if they do why do they not care?  It puzzles the he** outta me Kg. i can't figger it out for the life of me! Thank you for your reply and the link and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      June 13, 2019 2:31 AM MDT

They only get all their material from various conservative news sources as well as trump.news which is the Donald's own 'fact based' news website.  Other sources are the 'fake news' media..

Read it and believe it
      June 13, 2019 2:57 AM MDT

I recall he said something like "don't believe what you read or hear. That isn't what is really happening". So don't believe your eyes or ears or believe where he says you should. And they do? Gadzooks yikes and good grief! Thank you for your reply Kg. What would happen if they did dare venture forth to other lands? Maybe way too scary to contemplate. :(
      June 13, 2019 5:03 AM MDT

People haven't changed, only their names have.  When fool's reign, we question the future of humanity.  When good people reign we think there just might be hope for humanity yet.

Our view of things is limited.  What did the people in Britain, Poland or france during WWII think about the outlook of humanity?  What was the outlook on humanity during the LA riots of 1992?  
    Humans (overall) are a self centered species. Each one likes to put themselves above everyone and everything else. (me, myself, I).  It takes great effort to overcome this "nature".   When a person puts this "nature" aside and think of their fellow man first, the world marvels.  To many of us this kind of action is rare.  It makes us wonder why more people can't be like them.  Sometimes we even call these kind of people "heros". 
    People also like to take the course of least resistance; put forth the least amount of effort possible.   So instead of thinking about how their actions may affect others, they let their selfish nature rule.    

Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people are willing to put aside their own selfish ambitions and look outside of themselves.  They only see what THEY want or need.   MY rights supersede everyone elses.  I can do anything I want, and I don't care how it affects others.  It's all about ME, baby!  When we demand that we have things our way above all else, we are essentially saying that we are more important than everyone else. 

We can't say that our leaders are the cause this problem.  If anything, they merely reflect the (overall) attitudes of the people around them. 

When fool's reign, we question the future of humanity.  When good people reign we think there just might be hope for us yet.
      June 12, 2019 1:37 PM MDT

I think we are at the brink of an abyss and I do not see any Deus ex Machina there can possibly be to save us. You know how in movies the standard ending when things get to an impossible stage is that it was all a bad dream? The principal awakens and all is well? We're not gonna awaken from this nightmare which is a 24/7 day/night catastrophe of huge proportions. Why does the extremely stable genius sb prez sleazebag/ball base adore him so mightily and defend him and support him no matter how awful what he says or does is? Why do they embrace a man who attacks his own country, his own people and sides with the enemy consistently? Why does that not red flag him as being harmful to our country? Why why why why? I can't believe homo saps were always like this. The extremely stable genius sb prez sleazebag/ball represents the worst of the worst and most worst is that he has the power to do whatever he dam* well pleases ignoring all laws or rules or protocol or precedent. That is very hairy scary. Perhaps this is the way the world ends? More homo saps going to the dark side? I dunno. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 13, 2019 2:41 AM MDT

I was going to write a literal answer to the first part of the question, but since others added the T word to the equation I'll refrain other than saying "Hey, let's go back to pre-antibiotic and refrigeration days. Wouldn't that be fun?"
      June 12, 2019 2:26 PM MDT

You dwell in an "either/or" world then? If we refer to the days when homo saps were not such SAPS it of necessity also means we wish to go back to horse and buggy days?  Must it be either/or? Thank you for your reply E and Happy Thursday to thee. I shall ask. This post was edited by RosieG at June 13, 2019 2:44 AM MDT
      June 13, 2019 2:43 AM MDT