Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » If you don't enjoy preparing and cooking healthy food, what kinds of food do you eat, and where do you get it from?

If you don't enjoy preparing and cooking healthy food, what kinds of food do you eat, and where do you get it from?

Do you experience pleasure in eating?
Or is food as fuel just a necessary chore in order to live?
Is it easily accessible?
Is it cheap?
Would professional nutritionists consider it healthy as a long term staple diet?
How long have you been eating in this way?
How is your weight and health right now?

Do you have dietary special needs, such as allergies or food intolerances, which make a healthy diet difficult to organise and sustain?

Posted - June 13, 2019

Responses

Let's see.  Where do I begin?
    I do enjoy cooking and preparing food.  What I don't enjoy is constantly cleaning up after it.  Not to complain because I am grateful we have money enough to buy food and a kitchen to cook it in; BUT, since I was old enough to handle a butter knife and reach the sink, I have set tables, cleared tables, done the dishes, put away the food after someone else has made it, gone to the store and bought the food to prepare, scrubbed the ovens, scrubbed the kitchen from top to bottom, bought the pans, served the food, read the labels, taken nutrition classes, worked in restaurants and done copious amounts of more glasses, and serving, and making and suggesting and throwing out, and remaking and every other thing you can think of surrounding the fiasco of meals, food, health, and body ingestion I have done way too many times.
    As far as eating it, yes. I used to enjoy chewing it. Recently, I have had root canals and crowns put on my teeth so that small morsel of enjoyment hasn't been one.
    Smoothies and jello are more my thing.  I do make them healthy. ;)  Well, not the jello. Java chip ice cream every now and again. I almost always have it the freezer for Don. :)  
    I just got back from picking up dinner from Farmer Boys.  It isn't unhealthy and it is about 7/8 miles away.  Yes.  It is easily accessible and no, it isn't too expensive.  A little spendy considering if I had made the meal, it would have been 1/4 the price.
    I've always tried to eat healthy and that has been for my whole life.  My mom wasn't much of a cook but she always made sure we ate healthy.  We never had candy or chips in our house.  We always had balanced meals.
    I think my weight is good.  Some think I am on the slight side.
    I vary up and down 5 pounds depending on my mental status.
    I do have ulcers and had acid reflux for years.  Stress and bad sleeping habits are big contributors to these conditions.  Eating at odd times and not eating at all is a big part of that, too.
    I have no allegies to any foods.  I think that is because my mom and dad made us eat at least three bites of everything and try different things.  We weren't allowed to say "no."  Well, I tried once with liver but it didn't go over well.
    I think that was also good to build up a taste for things we wouldn't have known about.  How would we know if we liked it or not if we didn't try? As an adult, I now appreciate them doing that and serving us balanced meals. 

I think that about covers it.  ;) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at June 14, 2019 2:34 PM MDT
      June 14, 2019 12:06 AM MDT

Working in restaurant kitchens would be enough to make anyone want to simplify their meals at home! :)

Do you have a partner or others in the house who would happily wash up in return for having meals prepared for them?

I agree - I don't much like the cleaning up part either, or any other housework for that matter. I mind it less if I've got ABC news radio or good music playing. Ari and I take it in turns; whoever cooks doesn't have to wash up.

So happy for you that you're healthy - though I worry a bit about those ulcers.
    Did you know that it's now proven that ulcers are caused by a bacterium, h-pylori-Helicobacter-pyloriin the stomach?
    If you like you can check it out on the Mayo Clinic site. It can be cured by two antibiotics.

I have trouble with my sleeping habits too - though I suspect I could cure them if I regularly followed the right steps.

I wonder what kinds of stress bother you. If you ever want an ear, feel free to message me privately.

My worst stresses at present are financial. I've had to make the decision to find homes for three of my five horses. Each is home bred and feels like a child. I fear not being able to find homes that have the right level of knowledge, experience and resources and the right attitude
    (kindness).

I also experience intensely depressive moments when I consider the fate of the present round of evolution on this planet due to global warming.

Other stresses are the welcome kind - the challenges of learning how to be a better writer.
      June 14, 2019 12:43 AM MDT

I enjoy eating and cooking great food.  Healthy food and I mostly enjoy eating RAW food.

I like to sprout seeds and grow microgreens.  

BUT  I have old habits from the past that still are part and parcel of my life and eating fast and junk food happens to be in the mix.  I find that if I just eat it here and there, it doesn't do harm to the point that I notice.  WHY?  Because there is something in sweet and salty that I still crave once in awhile.  I don't like to be tired, I work a lot so I crave instant wake ups that sometimes healthy food does not provide, or is not easily obtainable so I use caffeine products.  Most of my boo boos are because of being at work and needing to grab something in a hurry.  I love the taste of food and I don't like to eat things that are "less than" as far as flavor is concerned.  Thank goodness organic foods have more flavor and happen to be great for us.  
      June 14, 2019 1:09 AM MDT

It makes perfect sense to me.
    I agree that raw foods and micro greens are great for good health and the gut biome.
    But I can also understand the need for the occasional quick energy burst.
    The slowness of digestion of raw fibres means slow energy delivery.
    I agree about the flavour of fresh and organic foods. I have twelve veggie beds which a cycle through the year.
    Three cheers to you, Sharonna! :)
      June 14, 2019 1:21 AM MDT

Gotta lose that from.   ...where do you get it? OR ...from where do you get it?  

It's against the law to end a sentence with a preposition.

You're welcome. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 14, 2019 11:47 PM MDT
      June 14, 2019 11:44 PM MDT

I enjoy cooking healthy food and healthy food is something I usually prefer. It keeps you healthy, fit and beautiful!
      July 12, 2019 2:43 PM MDT