Discussion » Questions » Education » What's a differential equation?

What's a differential equation?

Posted - June 14, 2019

Responses


  • Its like a regular equation, but different.
      June 14, 2019 5:20 PM MDT
    3

  • 44876
    The explanation is very complex unless you have studied integral calculus. I took a class 25 years ago and it was quite difficult. I had to take 6 integral calculus classes before I could even understand it.
      June 14, 2019 5:20 PM MDT
    3

  • 5391
    Simply: A differential equation is any equation that contains derivatives, be they partial or ordinary derivatives. Such an equation defines a relationship between aspects or rate of change (for example) in some function or entity. 

    Even that explanation is seriously incomplete, given how many forms and uses differential equations take. 

    . 
      June 14, 2019 6:38 PM MDT
    3

  • 44876
    Well said.
      June 14, 2019 6:49 PM MDT
    4

  • 3523
    Here's one:  v = d(x)/d(t).  It describes velocity (v) as the change in distance (x) within a certain amount of time (t).  That's the simplest example I can think of.  The great thing about differential equations is that they can be integrated to produce new equations and shed light on new relationships.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I would like to have taken enough math to get up to differential equations, but calculus II was sooooo BOOOOORRRRRRRIIINNNNNGGGGGGG,  I switched to statistics to complete the requirements for a minor.  Statistics has many more applications in biology. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at June 15, 2019 12:35 AM MDT
      June 14, 2019 7:21 PM MDT
    4

  • 5391
    That’s one of the great things....
      June 14, 2019 7:32 PM MDT
    3

  • 4623
    In a differential equation, the functions usually represent physical quantities, the derivatives represent their rates of change, and the equation defines a relationship between the two.
    Since the possible numbers for quantity may be infinite, the solutions may be non-unique and approximate. Nevertheless, they are found to be very useful in predicting real effects in mechanics, physics, economics and biology.
      June 15, 2019 2:06 PM MDT
    1